chapter.seven

mágoa :
a heartbreaking feeling that leaves long-lasting traces, visible in gestures and facial expressions

~~~

Rayan was black but had a lighter skin tone than Celeste's milk chocolate skin. She's what people call lightskin. I couldn't tell if she had contacts in, but her eyes were a dark shade of hazel. Her long locs fell behind her on her back, and swayed back and forth with her head.

I guess you could say Rayan was pretty. But nothing can compare to my soon to be girlfriend.

"So are you also a doctor, Rayan?" I asked her. Something about her just made me feel a little strange.

"No, unfortunately. I'm just a nurse, but I am definitely looking into furthering my education and becoming a physician."

I didn't answer her with words, but just gave her a slight nod indicating that I understood what she meant.

When I looked back at Celeste, her eyes were already on mine. "You were really drunk last night," I mentioned. From this short sentence, a giggle escaped Rayan's lips. I ignored it and continued. "I'm surprised you were able to come to work from a possible hangover and... what happened last night."

I was talking about the sex, obviously. I really thought she would be so sore and just lay in my arms for the whole morning. At least that's what used to happen with the other girls I used to be with a long time ago. This just shows me how much different Celeste is and how much I need to try even harder for her.

"Oh, um, yeah I really wanted to stay, but the hospital kept on calling my phone while I was trying to sleep, and I didn't want it to wake you up because you looked so peaceful. When I answered it I thought that it was just a reminder for something but it ended up being bad news. That's why I left."

My eyebrows sprung up. What kind of bad news is she talking about? "What do you mean?"

"One of my patients died this morning at around 5:50am. When I heard I rushed out as fast as I could," Celeste continued to explain.

Guilt began to spread in my heart. I was running around, racing everywhere, because I thought the woman of my dreams left me. But she just needed to get to work because someone that she had been taking care of had died. "Wow, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright. I'm the one who should be sorry. I didn't even leave a note."

I sighed and held Celeste's soft hands. "Babe, it's no problem at all. Don't even worry about it."

Another chuckle came from Rayan. Why the hell is she laughing about this? But, I won't say anything.

Celeste stood up and began to gather her things. She grabbed her coffee, phone, and her new bouquet. She placed her right hand on my cheek and kissed me quickly on the other side. "I have to get back to work but, I'll call you later," She told me. I don't want just a call, I want a repeat of last night.

"What time does your shift end? I'll pick you up and take you out somewhere." I suggested. By somewhere, I meant my bedroom.

A frown formed on Celeste's face. "I don't know. Rayan said she wanted to grab some dinner after we were done."

My head turned over to Celeste's friend. Her eyes stayed on Celestes for 5 seconds before she looked towards me. "Uh- yeah, I needed to talk to her personally. About... something personal."

I pursed my lips and furrowed my brows. "Alright. I'll call you later!"

Celeste strutted out the room like the goddess she is, and left me alone with her best friend. I was about to leave when Rayan stopped me. "Wait, can I talk to you for a second?"