Chapter 9: Hidden Talent

Jiren POV

Do you know those times when you find out something about someone that you didn't expect? Well, that happened with me and Goku. It was a pleasant one, don't worry.

(Bear in mind that I was too busy thinking to hear Goku singing before when I first arrived.)

I had just finished some meditation, ready to see what Goku was up to, and I was shocked to find that he wasn't at home or nearby.

'That's odd.' I thought to myself as I looked around, 'Goku's usually nearby at this time.'

I soon closed my eyes, trying to search for Goku's ki. Let me tell you this: sensing other people's ki is not an easy feat. You have to memorise a person's ki signature, and then try to find it amidst all the other ki signatures in people, plants, animals. It's complicated that's for sure.

Eventually, I did find his ki and headed towards his location. I wanted to surprise him so I hid my ki and landed on the other side of the tree he was sitting at on the hill. I was about to reveal myself when I heard strumming. I perked up suddenly, soon seeing what appeared to be some sort of musical instrument in his hands. Could he play? I didn't know he was interested in music.

I snapped out of this thoughts as I saw Goku take out a small notebook and began to strum a small tune.

I KNOW GOKU DIDN'T WRITE THIS BUT JUST PRETEND HE DID.

I know that you're curious
I know that you're strong
But life can be furious
And things can go wrong

You go, you go
We're better off tomorrow
But who knows, who knows
If we get joy or sorrow

Stay true to that fire in
Your heart and your soul
Don't drench your desire in
What you can't control

We fly, we fly
We try so hard to get there and
We might, we might
Be lost but not forever

I was shocked at this. Did Goku write this? Because it was amazing. I never knew he had this kind of talent in him. I was so mesmerised that I nearly let myself get noticed. Fortunately, I didn't and he continued with the chorus.

There's things in life you simply need to know
'Bout sun and rain and trust in letting go
It takes a bit of suffering
Sleepless nights and wondering
Before you make it safely to the end

Honestly, that chorus made me wish I had that kind of advice when I needed it the most. Well... no point in dwelling on that now.

The end

The end

Don't say you're ridiculous
You're not even close
Don't wish for indifference
You're not one of those

I wondered who he was singing this about. I mean, he was the one who wrote it, right? So there must be some reason as to why he made it.

We fall, we fall
But we always rise up through
It all, it all
We get a little wiser

There's things in life you simply need to know
'Bout sun and rain and trust in letting go
It takes a bit of suffering
Sleepless nights and wondering
Before you make it safely to the end

The end

The end

And if you ever wonder
There is nothing wrong with a little thunder

There's things in life you simply need to know
'Bout sun and rain and trust in letting go
It takes a bit of suffering
Sleepless nights and wondering
Before you make it safely to the end

The end

There's things in life you simply need to know
'Bout sun and rain and trust in letting go
It takes a bit of suffering
Sleepless nights and wondering
Before you make it safely to the end

The end

The end

As the final chords were played, I thought that it was time to reveal myself so I stopped hiding my ki and walked over to Goku, smiling as I did so. I found my mate jumping at the sight of me hilarious and I couldn't help but chuckle as he blushed and yelled at me.

"H-How much did you hear!?" Goku exclaimed. I merely sat down beside him and smirked, "All of it. You're a good singer and guitar player, you know that?"

Goku began to blush harder at my compliment, "R-Really? You think so?"

"Of course!" I replied happily, wrapped his arm around Goku, the guitar on the side, "Why didn't you tell me earlier though?"

Goku scratched his cheek, "I... I wasn't sure if you would like it. I ain't exactly open to this, y'know. To be honest, that was the main reason I've never revealed my talent for singing or playing guitar to anyone we know, why do you think I avoid karaoke nights?"

"They would enjoy it though."

Goku grinned cutely as his tail wagged, "Yeah, I guess so!"

I looked shocked, "Why wouldn't I like it? It's one of the best things I've ever heard!"

"R-Really?"

He turned to see me with my smile returned, squeezing his hand tightly, "I have no idea why you think no one would like it, Goku, because it's incredible."

"Thanks... Chikara."

Goku grinned as nuzzled close to my neck, his body relaxing in my arms as he closed his eyes, ready to take a nap. This wasn't a well-known fact about Goku (well, not well-known in terms of his own fame), and it may seem unbelievable to all of you, but apparently after the Frieza incident on Namek, Goku became a bit of an insomniac (more with maintenance insomnia to be precise) and, at some times, has had difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep, which had messed up his schedule quite a bit. Goku had to take naps in the early afternoon every so often and he tried getting to bed earlier so he could have a chance of sleeping on time. It did explain his impulsiveness and slight crabbiness at get-togethers every so often.

(A/N: I honestly don't really know how insomnia works but just roll with it. Though, quick warning to insomniacs just in case)

All of our friends knew about this including me, but we all swore to a non-disclosure agreement. It made sense since Goku didn't want anyone to worry about him. I know it isn't as serious as some cases and he can sleep well most of the time but still... I can't help but feel somewhat concerned about him due to this.

But he told me not to worry and I won't.

I gently brushed some silver hair from his face and held him closer to my chest, sighing as I decided to take a nap myself. Who knows? Perhaps later I could listen to more of Goku's singing, all I have to do is ask.