WINGS

Y/N's eyes fluttered open to the sight of her childhood bedroom, a throbbing pain in the back of her skull which she groans about. She sits up on her bed and cringes at the immediate thought of a memory regarding a certain demon who tainted this sanctuary of hers. She runs a hand through her hair, wondering how the hell she had gotten here, when it all came back to her at once.

Being possessed.

Running away.

Walking into a shady bar.

Grayson finding me, then takes her home.

Her parents.

The vision of them in their bloody, butchered states strikes her mind again and she lets out a painful howl of cries, burying her face into the palms of her hands. Footsteps instantly approached her room and suddenly her door bursted opened, a familiar warm and beloved angel capturing her in a comforting embrace and pulling her into his chest.

"Shh," Grayson mumbled into her ear, feeling his heart shatter at her broken state. "I'm here, I'm always here. It's all going to be okay, Y/N."

"T-They're dead," Y/N sniffled, cradling herself in his arms. "M-My parents are dead. Someone viciously murdered them in their own home, and I wasn't there to save them..."

"Don't you dare blame yourself," Grayson murmured, grabbing her gently by the shoulders while making eye contact. "This was not your fault."

"But it had to be."

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, who else would have done it as an act of revenge for me leaving him," she muttered bitterly, wiping away at several stray tears. "I can't believe he'd do this..."

"Well... technically, it wasn't him," Grayson sighed, annoyed to be giving his demonic brother some props. "It was Lucifer, who somehow managed to sneak his way here before we could. I read the signs loud and clear, after you fainted and I took you to your room last night to rest."

"I fainted?"

He nodded. "Right after you laid eyes on them, which I don't blame you for. It was a terrible, tragic mess, but if it's any consolation - they went to Heaven. They're at peace, Y/N, looking over you."

Y/N glanced down at the floor; her pain and grief were still strong, but the fact that they were in a far better place than this cruel world made her feel a tinge better. She just wished they hadn't died so horrribly, in a gruesome and unfair attack that she probably inspired just by leaving her demon boyfriend. While she wasn't as close to them as she should have been, they still gave her a wonderful life. They had firm beliefs they had raised her on, and sometimes they got into disagreements, but they all loved one another inevitably.

Though they're gone, she could still feel them somehow... nearby.

"Are they..." Y/N gulped, shuttling her eyes momentarily before reopening them. "Are they still... you know... down there?"

"No. Last night I had called the authorities and explained to them of what happened when we got here, they'll be investigating of course but in a few days or so we should get the autopsy results. I'm sure you'll want to conduct a proper funeral and burial for them with your family, who you should probably call," Grayson spoke, grabbing her by the hands. "And from then on, I'll be watching you over for-"

"No."

"What?"

"You can't leave me," she pouted, squeezing his hands tightly in hers. "I know you have some Angel Duties and all but I need you here with me. I... I don't want to be all alone. I have very little family and the ones I do have I don't get along with... please Grayson, promise me you'll stay."