Chapter 6

I knew he didn't love me, but I just about adored him anyway

_________________________________

As individual training came upon us, Cato and I walked into a small room side by side. I watched Glimmer get called, then Marvel. My leg bounced and I picked the skin around my nails. Two habits that I constantly partake in. Cato noticed and put his hand on my leg. I looked up and raised my eyebrows at him.

"You're making me nervous just by looking at you," He said and chuckled.

"Isn't that something that always happens?" I asked and sent him a smirk. He rolled his eyes.

"Who put extra cockiness in your coffee this morning?" I ignore his comment.

"What if I miss the target?" I thought out loud. Cato gave me a look.

"When was the last time you missed?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I don't do well under pressure," I said. "This gets us a lot of sponsors. Enobaria and Brutus will be pissed when we find out later what I got."

"Kat, take a breath," Cato said as he was starting to get annoyed with me. I sucked in a breath as I heard his name called.

He squeezed my knee before getting up. I watched him walk into the room, he rolled his shoulders back, held his head high and walked into the room with utter confidence. I leaned my head against the wall.

My head went towards what the games will be like. How will I kill these people? Will I kill someone? Do I even really have a chance to win these games? I turned around and looked at the other tributes. No one was really talking, besides Katniss and Peeta occasionally. Katniss looked up to see me staring at her, we both held each other's gaze, like we always do. Nothing was nasty on either end, just, blank stares.

I heard my name on the speaker. I exhaled to myself and stood up. The doors slid open, Cato wasn't to be found. I held my head high, pushed my shoulders back and walked in like Cato did. I needed to be confident.

"Katalina," Seneca Crane said. I made eye contact with him as I did with the other male game makers. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"The pleasures all mine, Seneca," I lied. He smiled.

"Go on then." The words were so simple, but they made my heart race.

The knife station was already set up for me, I looked at the six knives in front of me. I picked one up and released a nervous breath. It was quiet in the room, too quiet for my liking. I was used to a noisy training center as it had been the past three days.

I twirled the knife between my fingers as I always do before I get ready to throw it. I threw the knife at a speed that even amazed me.

The knife didn't even hit the fucking target.