Chapter 23

---Marcus' POV---

"-due to hyoid bones being solid in small cats, they can in fact perform the true version of purring. Unlike big cats like lions, leopards and tigers, whose hyoid bones are partially flexible, can roar instead of purr."

Aiming the pointer at the corresponding places on the picture, I let my eyes go through the class to make sure I had everyone's attention.

"Feline shifters with big cat counterparts can purr, though it is not classified as true purring. This is because the feline side produces the purrs through the humanoid hypoid bone, allowing the sound to resonate and come out as a purr."

The bell rang through the class and I raised my voice over the students shutting their books and gathering their stuff. "Next week I'll expect that you have read the next chapter and have prepared any questions of today's lesson."

A few people nodded or agreed aloud while I cleaned up the papers on the desk, smiling slightly as the last of the students left.

It was odd, how quickly one got used to their newly acquired life. A few months have passed since the last of the Romanov family had been removed from the face of the earth.

Prague had been cleaned out completely, not that the human population would have any idea of what had happened.

Anyone with connections to the Romanov's had been gathered up, heavily interrogated and if possible, released under supervision.

Killian hadn't taken any chances, as he knew perfectly well how the underworld worked. He had shown mercy when he could but had also lashed out with brutal efficiency to remind the other families to not mess with what was his.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts, turning and leaning against my desk with a grin when my youngest sibling stood in the doorway.

"Afternoon, professor." Alec teased, chuckling as I rolled my eyes. "How was class?" I rolled my shoulders and sighed. Alec had been overjoyed when I had taken the proposition of becoming a teacher at their school.

Of course, he had thought that I'd let him slide by easily due to us being siblings. He had regretfully realized that was not the case but had still been grateful.

To be honest, I doubted his class would've succeeded if Alec had accepted a teaching position in the school instead of finishing his education.

"Class was okay, at least in this class, nobody fell asleep." I said with a pointed look at Alec, snickering as he had the decency to blush.

"I told you, it wasn't my fault! I was exhausted that day, had barely slept thanks to Nathan keeping me awake all night!" he rebutted before sighing, reaching for his pocket.

"Anyways, I was asked to deliver this to you." Alec tapped the envelope against his palm before shaking his head. "I'm guessing Killian hasn't caught up with the current age and still prefers letters instead of sending a simple text."

I rolled my eyes and held out my hand, accepting the letter and ignoring the clear curiosity coming from Alec's face. "So, what does it say? Is it a naughty letter?" he said with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

"Even if it were, do you really think I'd tell you? And don't you have a class to go to?" I asked slowly, tapping him on the head with the letter. He huffed, pouting for a second before he shrugged.

"Fine, it's only history. I'm certain that your mate will let my absence slip, seeing as he sent me here in the first place." Alec said with confidence before groaning as I added, "True, but he'll also make sure that you learned everything you missed while you're standing here."