Chapter 4

Zelk's POV

"Mega?" I said in my head.

I was speechless. But for some reason, I wasn't surprised.
"I mean- I do like being around him? But we're just close friends"

All of a sudden, I coughed again-but even more violently then before. I coughed into my hands. There were more rose petals. The soft petals laid on the palms of my hands peacefully. That's when I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I tightly squeezed my chest with my right hand.

"It hurts so bad oh my god-" I said in my head as I felt another sharp, excruciating pain in my chest.
"Hold- on..-Zak" I quickly said before sprinting towards the bathroom as fast as I could.

I swore I heard a fainted yell-what sounded like "Zelk!" But I didn't respond. My chest felt like it had just been stabbed several times. I reached my left hand for the handle to the bathroom. Then I pulled it open with a strong force. I entered the bathroom and forced myself to cough into my palms to get rid of the unbearable pain.

I stared down at the petals in my hands. All I could hear was the immense hammering of my heart in my chest. I felt another sharp pain in my chest and leaned over the toilet in the bathroom I was in; I coughed, and a few more petals fluttered out and into the bottom of the bowl.

I looked at the floating petals however I was completely disgusted with the scene of horror that lay down on the petals.

Blood

It spread through the water quick. It made me trembled with fear. I wanted to scream. But I didn't. I couldn't. I forced myself to shut my mouth before any screams of cries could come out. I closed my eyes shut as I felt my heartbeat slowly calm down.

I threw the remaining petals that were resting on my hand into the toilet with the other petals, flushing them all away. I turned towards the sink and stood in front of the sink. I washed off my hands with soap while thinking about something;

The Article Earlier...

"This feelings had to be strong enough to grow a flower...."

I sighed. Then I felt my chest tighten, although not from the flower, but rather from the tears that were forming in my eyes. I was afraid- afraid that I might die.

"Hanahaki was not only physically draining, but also emotionally, it'll torment you everyday as a constant reminder that you will never be loved by that person."

I rubbed my eyes, wiping away the tears. Then I slowly walked back into the room. I was at the front of my desk when I hear Zak yelled through his mic;

"ZELK?! ARE YOU OKAY?!"

I sat down on my comfy chair before saying something. I wasn't really sure what to say-or do.

"I'm f-fine." I mumbled, sitting on my chair, "it's just that I now cough out petals and..Uhrm...blood..."
"Blood? Zelk are you sure you don't want to do surgery?" Zak asked, "this is really really serious and your illness will get even more worse according to the article!"
"I-I"

I knew that what Zak said was entirely true. But I just didn't want to lose my memories of Mega-if my crush is even Mega. I sighed -looking down at my desk. My desk was usually tidy but because if this... it's not. I was going to clear away some stuff when something caught my eye. In the corner of my eye, I saw a picture-not just any picture. It was that one picture among the rest of the fan arts for me. I stood up and walked towards the picture that was hanging on my wall. Then I looked at the fan art. It was a cute fan art of...me and Mega?