chapter 15

The fate of fear part 2

Gennai threw another piece of wood into the fire and began to eat his fish stew, he looked over to Michael and noticed that the boy looked at him like he would a ghost.

“You should eat, a boy your age needs protein, what are you, 13 or 14 now?” gennai asked.

“I’m only eleven,” Michael responded.

“Oh...you’ve gotten taller since I last saw you, I guess I assumed that you were older.”

Michael smiled.

“You really think I’ve gotten taller? Wilhelm said if anything I’m getting shorter but I think that’s just Wilhelm being Wilhelm.”

“N0 you have defiantly gotten taller, heck pretty soon I bet your going to be as tall as your father.”

Michael’s face turned into a look of disappointment.

“My dad is still pretty short gennai.”

For the next few moments, the two sat in silence and the only  sounds they heard were the crashing of the waves and the cracking of the fire.

Michael picked at his fish stew and looked as if he did not wish to eat it.

“What’s wrong? You don’t like fish?” gennai asked.

“Not particularly, no. Plus I’m allergic to shellfish and I don’t want to take the chance.”
Michael  said while still staring into bowl of stew.

Gennai put his bowel of fish down.

“ Michael lets not beat around the bush anymore, why are you here ?”

“ I already told you how I got here, Yuki took the garnet from me and said that he was gonna send me somewhere where nobody comes back. I guess that meant here. Gennai, this may seem rude but I have to ask, how are you alive? “

Gennai smiled.

“I honestly wish I could answer that question but I barely know how I’m here right now. All I do know is that I was sent here to give guidance to those who ask for it. But you didn’t answer my question. Why do you think you were sent here?”

“ I don’t know why I’m here, maybe this is somewhere in the unknown regions that is covered by a dangerous rock formations or something?”

"It’s not, the ocean is beautiful, there isn’t Evan a reef anywhere around here. Do you want to know why I think the garnet sent you here?”

“Enlighten me.”

“I think that you were sent here because you need guidance.”

Michael rolled his eyes.

“ Why would I need guidance?”

“Something is troubling you. You are worried about losing someone you care about, you have tried to distance yourself from that someone but you can't stay away from them. You got wrapped up in a heroic facade to try and distract yourself from it but it hasn’t left your mind and part of you is happy too be away from the desert because the person you’re worried about is there and you don't want to be around her...your sister if I'm correct?"

Michael clenched his fists in anger and stood up as gennai said this.

“ Why are you afraid to be around your sister, Michael?”
Gennai asked as he noticed the sudden anger in the boy.

“You explained what I’ve been thinking this whole time, you tell me!”

“I don’t need to, you already know why. You should tell me.”