Chapter 20

"No wonder you don't trust people easily. No wonder you don't smile facing anyone. With such efforts to just be your friend, I know why your definition of friendship is so high. After months of being together with you, I finally got to know the level of expectations you have for friendship." Jing Qin, a comrade of Lin Jin spoke to keep Wang Yibo's consciousness intact. He had asked Wang Yibo who was his best friend and how they become a friend.

It's been three months since Wang Yibo was assigned a task to crack the last connection to the case he was working on in Albany. This time he was disguised as a criminal policeman Lin Jin who died in an accident 3 years back. It was crystal clear to onlookers that Lin Jin had nothing to do with Wang Yibo, an Anti-Narcotic officer from NCB. But no one knew who was connected to whom until suddenly Lin Jin showed himself again.

The life of Lin Jin was rather simple. If there were no crimes registered, one could find that handsome criminal police in the underground boxing battles. Three months back, when Nie Mingjue handed him the papers having Lin Jin's itinerary, Wang Yibo thought it was an easy role.

However, the paper did not have a specific name of one doctor who was sent for an internship near the Myanmar border at that time.

Chen Xiao.

"Do you know how Chen Xiao met Lin Jin?" Jing Qin asked to acquire Wang Yibo's attention. They were waiting for an ambulance to take Wang Yibo to the nearest hospital. They initially just came to check the route that smugglers most of the time used for transporting drugs. However, there was some dispute between the dealers, and a fight broke out. In order to capture at least one witness, Wang Yibo asked Jing Qin to step aside for he knew if he jumped in the fight the matter going to be serious.

However, in the firing, Wang Yibo got shot in two places. One on his right leg and another one on his abdomen. Although he got the witness, his life was in jeopardy. Making the witness unconscious, he asked Jing Qing to take the witness back. Yet, Jing Qin is not Jing Qin if he couldn't save the guy who has the same face as that of his best friend. He called the paramedic team and tried to get Wang Yibo's attention for he was afraid if Wang Yibo sleeps, he won't wake up again.

Wang Yibo didn't answer Jing Qin's question. He was too tired to respond. All he wanted to do right now was to hold on a little more before sleeping peacefully. Jing Qin continued despite not getting any response.

"It was three years back. We were informed that drug dealers misplaced their consignment, which was delivered to the hospital. And for that reason, they held the hospital and the staff down. The rescue team was led by Lin Jin at that time..." This was the only thing Wang Yibo heard before losing consciousness.

When he woke up after 2 days, he was already in the hospital.

He survived again.

However, not soon after he woke up the door to his ward opened with a creaking sound. The hospital he was admitted to wasn't a top-notch hospital that one can find in the capital. The patient bed next to Wang Yibo's bed was empty.

He moved his head to look at the person entering the general ward. Chen Xiao walked elegantly. Carefully checking Wang Yibo's wounds and his body, she asked, "Any discomfort officer?"

The sudden strangeness in that ever-sweet voice held Wang Yibo back. At once he didn't know how to respond to this hostility.

"People say, time heals every wound. But have you ever wondered, if the dirt on the book changes the story narrated inside it?"

"..." Wang Yibo couldn't comprehend Chen Xiao's depth of words. At once he thought that maybe.. maybe Chen Xiao got to know that he is not Lin Jin. But as Chen Xiao added further, "Why did you not inform me?" Wang Yibo's guesses met with a void.