XVIII.

chapter eighteen: just best friends?

***

I wake up when the first sunrays shine through the windows of the living room, because I can't sleep with the light.

Slowly I open my eyes and see the morning sun bring colour to the living room and draw some kind of pattern on the walls. It looks beautiful and I somehow feel way happier then I did the last few days while waking up and can't help but smile. For a second I think that everything is perfect until I realize that something is missing.

At first I can't make it out but then I see that Carly is not lying next to me. Immediately I sit up and look around. The blanket she had wrapped around her is now covering my body. My best friend is not in the living room and I ask myself where she is. As if she heard my thoughts Carlys head appears in the door frame to the kitchen and she grins at me. 

"You're awake," she grins and I can hear my mother say something from behind her. 

"Yeah," I grin and still have to look really sleepy. Slowly I get up and walk to the kitchen where Carly welcomes me with a quick hug which makes the butterflies in my stomach go wild once again. 

"You slept quite long," my mother says and puts three plates on the tables, "We already finished making breakfast."

"Thank you," I grin and pull in the smell of scrambled eggs, "Smells really good."

"We did our best," Carly grins and we all sit down. 

Mom tells us about the new opportunity she got from her boss and that she has to leave for a few weeks to go to Spain if she takes it. The days she would be in Spain would be the ones on which the cheer competition would have been. I reassure her that she should take the opportunity if she really wants to and tell her that the Scorpions probably will not go to the competition because of principal clearwater. She is really mad about it and says that she will do something about it and Carly spends another lot of time to get her to not run down the principals door. 

After half an hour we are done eating and Carly wants to leave to get new clothes to go to school but I insist that she should stay and that we will talk to her parents about skipping school today. It takes a few minutes before my mother actually allows me to skip school because Carly obviously still doesn't feel good, but then she reassures us that she will talk to Carlys parents.

I take Carly with me into my room and we spent a lot of time seeking for something she can wear. After we are both dressed we talk about where we could go and spent our time because we never actually did something like this before and the feeling of not having to go to school is weird. At the end we decide on going to the small hill just outside the town and spent our time there. 

We tell my mom where we are going to go before we leave the house and make our way through town towards the hill. It takes us about two hours until where there and start to climb up the hill.

While we walk we talk about Hotaru and Marcus who called us a few minutes ago and wanted to know where we were. They reminded us that we had been invited to a party that one of our classmates is going to organize and where apparently every popular person would be. We had been invited a few days and we have one week until the party is taking place. Till Hotaru reminded us about it I had forgotten about it.

"Should we go shopping this weekend?," Carly asks and takes my hand while we walk the last few meters to the top.

"Yeah, of course," I grin and squeeze her hand. 

I love you.

We reach the top of the hill. Carly lets my hand go and starts spinning in circles. "I love it," she laughs.

"Me too." I pick a daisy from the ground and twist it between my fingers.

"When was the last time you were here?," she wants to know.

"I don't know," I admit, "I think the last time was before one and a half years or something. What about you?"

"Two years ago, I think," she says and overlooks the town. Istand next to her, pick the leaves from the daisy, lay them into my hand andblow them away. The I watch them get carried away by the wind and dancingaround in the air. It looks beautiful and makes me feel like I'm on top of theworld.

While I watch the leaves I feel Carlys gaze on my face and slowly look at her. She somehow looks like she's lost in what she sees and I can't help but compare it to the many times I read it in a romance when someone gets lost in someone else's eyes. Could she be lost in mine like I sometimes get lost in hers?

I tilt my head to the side and slowly smile at Carly. She comes back out of her little trance and smiles back at me. Then she raises her hand and brushes one strand of my hair behind my ear.

Her eyes and smile are full of something that I can only call love and I feel like she might actually see something in me that's more then just being my friend. When she takes my face in her hands I freeze and stare into her russet-brown eyes. I know what she's about to do but when she leans in to obviously let her lips meet mine I do something I don't really want to. I forcefully change the possible kiss in a hug because I know that she doesn't really want this. I'm somehow sure that she just is a little confused because Charles just broke up with her and i don't want that she does something she doesn't actually want to do. So I keep her from doing it and hope I don't hurt her.

Her hands automatically leave my face when she realizes that I'm going for a hug and she just hugs me back. The decision I made breaks me a little more and I'm sure that I have to hold myself back from changing it. I hope she understands what I did and isn't hurt, even though I can't imagine it.

"Thank you," she mumbles, "for being my best friend." The butterflies want to commit suicide because of the pain. Now I actually know that what she wanted to do was just some reaction to what happened. 

"Thank you, too," I mumble back and still hope that we someday, somewhere could be more then just best friends. 

Gif is Auden blowing the daisy leaves

***

This one has to be the shortest by now... Sorry for the cringe. I don't actually know what I wrote in there... I hope you still enjoyed it at least a little bit.

See you tomorrow on the other side of the rainbow

xoxo

Leo♥