Chapter Thirteen - Sizing Up The Competition

After Daken's victory over his sister, the Sports Festival continued onto the next match. Tokoyami won an overwhelming victory against Yaoyorozu. The match between Kirishima and Tetsutetsu ended in a draw which was resolved by an arm wrestling match in which Kirishima won. Ochaco then fought a valiant effort, but she was overwhelmed by Bakugo's power. With that, the next set of matches were decided.

Match #1: Izuku Midoriya VS Shoto Todoroki

Match #2: Ibara Shiozaki VS Tenya Iida

Match #3: Akihiro VS Fumikage Tokoyami

Match #4: Eijiro Kirishima VS Katsuki Bakugo

What followed was an intermission to give the fighters time to prepare for their matches. Kirishima smiled at his future opponent.

Kirishima: Looks like we'll be fighting each other! Don't get too angry when I beat you! Hehe.

Bakugo: I'll kill you.

Bakugo's calm and aggressive response to Kirishima's friendly banter did nothing to lower his enthusiasm. Kirishima soon met up with X-23.

Kirishima: Looks like the competition is getting fierce!

X-23: I'm sure you can handle it.

???: Typical 1-A arrogance!

Upon hearing this, everyone turned their attention to Monoma who was near their stands.

Monoma: The Sports Festival isn't even over and you're all already planning a celebration!

Daken: How amusing for someone who didn't even make it to the tournament in the first place.

Monoma: Is that supposed to mean something?

Daken: Of all your classmates who got this far, only one of them was competent enough to advance to the next round. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that it was mere luck on part.

Monoma: Talking down on 1-B? Why am I not surprised?

Daken's response was a simple chuckle. He got up from his chair and approached Monoma.

Daken: You should be glad that you didn't advance, Monoma. If you had to face me, then you would be on your way to the hospital.

Before Monoma could reply to Daken's warnings, he was promptly knocked out by Kendo.

Kendo: Sorry about that guys! Monoma can be a handful.

Daken: I suggest you keep this one on a tight leash. It's only a matter of time before he runs his mouth to someone who will put him in his place.

Kendo: I'll.....keep that in mind.

Kendo dragged the unconscious Monoma back to the 1-B stands. As Daken walked away from where Monoma was, he was approached by Iida.

Iida: That behavior is unacceptable, Akihiro! That type of behavior is unbecoming of a Hero!

Ochaco: Tenya's right! What you said was uncalled for!

Daken simply ignored his classmates words as he walked past them and approached Tokoyami.

Daken: So you're the one I'll be fighting.

Tokoyami: It would appear so.

Daken: I'll warn you, I won't go down so easily.

Tokoyami: We'll see about that.

Daken smirked as he walked back to his seat. Kirishima still had his reservations about Daken.

Kirishima: Not gonna lie Laura, but you're brother is a bit of a jerk.

X-23: Just be careful around him, Kirishima. You saw how powerful he was.

Kirishima: What he did to you wasn't right!

X-23: You mean the fight? It was nothing. That's how we fight.

Kirishima: I know but still!

X-23 was taken aback by Kirishima's response. She didn't expect Kirishima to be so concerned as he was. She placed her hand on his shoulder and smiled.

X-23: You are very sweet, Kirishima. Probably one of the sweetest guys I know. But you don't need to worry about me. I can handle myself.

X-23 then kissed Kirishima's cheek, causing him to blush as red as his hair.

X-23: If anyone needs to be careful, it's you. If you end up facing my brother, well you already saw what he can do.

Kirishima: Don't worry about it, Laura! I got this! 

X-23 smiled at Kirishima's enthusiasm. Kirishima felt bold enough to approach the intimidating Daken. 

Daken: What is it?

Kirishima: When we fight, I'm taking you down hard pal! 

Daken: Bold words Kirishima. I suggest you focus on your current opponent. If you somehow get passed Bakugo, then I'll be impressed. 

Kirishima smiled. He was confident that he was gonna beat Bakugo. Out of everyone in the tournament, it was Daken that he wanted to face in the tournament. Daken was mildly impressed with Kirishima's words. When he returned to X-23, she shot him a glare. 

Kirishima: What's wrong Laura?

X-23: Did you really think going up to him like that was a good idea? 

Kirishima: He seemed fine with it! At least....I think he did. He didn't look down on me like that Monoma guy!

X-23: He was sizing you up just like he was sizing up Tokoyami. Knowing him, he's probably already sized up the others. He'll be watching the other fights carefully. 

Kirishima: I'm okay with that! I'll be sure to show him what I'm capable of! 

X-23 rolled her eyes at Kirishima's confidence. She was deeply concerned that Kirishima was taking Daken lightly. Kirishima however was looking forward to potentially facing Daken in a one on one fight. Daken looked over all the people he would potentially facing in the tournament. In his mind, none of them posed a threat to him. Despite this level of confidence, Daken had no intention of underestimating his current opponent as well as his future opponents. X-23 felt her feelings for Kirishima grow. After that intermission, the Sports Festival would resume. Everyone would prepare for the next round of the tournament.