On Infernal Ground

''She deserves this.''

Katherine looked up at her fiancee as they all stood in the hall of Alicante for Clary's rune ceremony. ''She does.'' Alec smiled at her and wrapped his arm around his fiancee as the Fairchild entered the hall and repeated the same lines that Max Lightwood had a long time ago.

Katherine had along with the rest clapped when Clary had received her angelic rune and remembered her own, it'd seemed like a lifetime ago to her, when Maryse had organized her and Jace's rune ceremony together..it had been a nervous yet a beautiful experience.

Alec, she and Izzy saw the red headed girl coming towards them, the angelic rune on her arm stood out from the rest of the runes...that could have been because it was still red and fresh. What made Katherine frown was when she didn't see her twin with the Fairchild.

Katherine smiled brightly at Clary as she walked towards them ''You did it.'' she hugged her before Izzy too gave the younger girl a hug ''Congratulations.''

''Thank you.'' Clary smiled at them.

''How'd it feel?'' Alec asked, his arm still around Katherine's waist ''Ah..it hurt.'' Clary looked at the still fresh rune and chuckled before looking back up at them ''No it was...amazing, just a little embarrassing with all these people around.''

The older girl again smiled and tucked Clary's hair behind her ear in an elderly sister gesture ''You've got no reason to be embarrassed, Clare.'' Izzy nodded in agreement ''Like she said, don't be embarrassed, you're the hero of Alicante.You went hand to hand with Valentine and killed him...stop being so modest.'' Izzy smiled at her.

Katherine suddenly remembered something ''Iz, Maryse was looking for you.'' the younger girl shrugged her shoulders ''Well then, I am gonna go look for mom.'' she said and gave the three a smile before walking off.

''What you did was impressive.'' Alec praised Clary and Katherine folded her arms cross her chest, the couple knew that there was something that Jace wasn't telling them about what had really happened at Lake Lyn ''There's more to the story though, isn't there?''

Clary suddenly looked uncomfortable and that made the older girl narrow her eyes. ''I told you everything that I know, guys.'' ''Did you?'' Alec's voice stopped the red headed from walking away from the two. Katherine sighed and looked around before she and her fiancee leaned moved closer to Clary.

''I felt Jace die and so did Kate.'' Alec looked at Clary who again looked uncomfortable, Katherine felt bad but they had to get answers as to what had really happened to Jace, because whatever it had been...it wasn't normal, people didn't just come back from dead everyday.

''But my twin says he's got no clue which we both know is a lie.'' the older girl placed emphasis on the last word. ''Well, maybe you two felt him being impaled, it was a pretty serious injury.'' the Fairchild spoke what the couple knew was a lie.

''Sure it was, we're not denying that.'' Katherine shrugged her shoulders as Alec looked at her before looking back at Clary ''What we're saying is that Kate felt the bond break and my parabatai rune disappeared.'' he looked around to make sure that no one was eavesdropping,

''How do you explain that?''

Clary was speechless, to say the least as she slowly shook her head at the couple ''I don't know.'' Katherine looked at her for another second and when she along with Alec realized that the younger girl wasn't going to tell them anything, she simply smiled ''Well what matters is that Jace is alive.''

''Yeah .'' Clary smiled slowly and left the two alone. Katherine sighed and placed her head on Alec's shoulder who's arm remained firmly around her waist ''What are they not telling us?'' he kissed her temple ''I don't know, but we'll find out about it.''