who the hell is bucky || stucky

"Go, I got this," Falcon said from the rooftop.

Steve nodded his assent and ran after the Winter Soldier. As Steve ran up to the man with the metal arm, he thought he saw something recognizable behind the man's eyes. But he didn't have much time to dwell on it, as he was currently being shot at. He curled up behind his shield, as the man shot bullet after bullet at him. The two began to fight, and the Winter Soldier got ahold of Cap's shield. He threw it, embedding it in the metal of a car. The Winter Soldier pulled out a dagger and the two continued to fight. Managing to throw the Winter Soldier to the ground, Steve yanked out his shield from the back of the car. He smashed the man in the face, causing his dark, black mask to fall off. When he turned around, Steve was left speechless. Standing in front of him was his best friend. His best friend who would always save him from fights. His best friend who worked two jobs just to be able to take of Steve. His best friend who he thought was dead.

"Bucky?" He choked out.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" The man replied. He raised his gun and aimed it at Steve, but hesitated to fire, a tiny bit of recognition shining in his eyes.

Steve took advantage of his hesitation and stepped forward. "Your name is James Buchanan Barnes. Your name is Bucky. Don't you remember?"

The Winter Soldier didn't reply, but kept his gaze locked firmly on Steve, who was stepping even closer.

"It's me. It's Steve. We used to be best friends. I was always getting into some stupid fight, and you were always there to save my ass. And you were always dragging me time after time to go dancing, even though you knew how horrible of a dancer I was. You were right there by my side as we marched into war. You were always there for me. Don't you remember, Bucky?" Steve said, voice cracking at the end, as he struggled to hold back tears.

The Winter Soldier slowly lowered his gun. "Steve?"

"Bucky!" Steve said, running forward and crushing his friend in a hug. "I thought you were dead!"

Steve couldn't hold back anymore and a few tears dripped from his eyes. Steve continued to hold Bucky in a hug, even though he wasn't being hugged back. Bucky wasn't trying to kill him and that was good enough for now. Slowly, Steve pulled back and looked at Bucky. Bucky just stared right back at him, saying nothing.

Wanting so desperately for Bucky to recognize him, but not sure what else to do, Steve did the first thing that came to mind and leaned in and kissed Bucky, surprising even himself.

For a moment, Bucky didn't move. But then, his gun dropped from his hand to the ground and his arms snaked around Steve's waist. Steve slid his hands into Bucky's hair as he kissed him more forcefully, tears starting to stream down his face.

Bucky was the first to pull away. "I remember. I remember wanting to do that for forever."

"Me too." Steve chuckled and kissed him again.

He wasn't sure why Bucky had been trying to kill him. He wasn't sure what had happened to Bucky. And he wasn't even sure how Bucky was still alive. But none of that mattered. All that mattered was that his best friend was back and he was standing right in front of him.

All that mattered was that Bucky knew who he was.

5/25/20