Chapter 8: A small lie...

Makoto stares into Harus eyes as the wind blows his hair across the anxious expression on his face. Makoto couldn't tell if he was surprised by his question or if he worried for being caught. But either way, he wanted to hear the answer from Harus mouth directly.

Haru stares at makoto, frozen in place, unsure what to say or how to respond to the sudden question he dropped on him. Part of him wants to tell him the truth and say to him they are in a relationship, while the other part of him wants to keep it locked away for as long as possible.

He knows if he told Makoto, he would feel a strong amount of guilt because he hasn't considered Rins opinion, and what he wants. But if he lies... Makoto might get the wrong idea and thinks he doesn't trust him enough to keep their relationship under wraps.

What...do I say... Haru worries, watching as Makotos eyes are still locked onto him, waiting for an answer.

"well Haru? are you or are you not in a relationship with Rin" He asks again, as if he was growing impatient.

From Harus perspective, Makotos glare looked like he was in pain, or on the verge of breaking. It was unusual to see him like this over a question.

Haru finally looks down, breaking their locked eyes, as well as the awkward silence that surrounds them.

"me and Rin... are just good friends" Haru replies, unsure of how Makoto will reply. Will he be relived? Or will he feel bad for asking? When those words left his mouth, it made Haru feel uneasy and hurt him, he didn't want to lie to his best friend but, for now it was the best option.

Makotos takes a deep breath as Harus answer puts him at ease, yet also makes him feel stupid for asking a question like that.

"I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question... it's just the sudden change in how you two act around each other gave me that idea." Makoto utters with an embarrassed tone, his cheeks were a bit flushed, Haru could see them from the distance he was at.

I can see where he's coming from... Rin and I have changed in some ways around each other; it wasn't going to take long until people started noticing. I just didn't think makoto would actually ask it, I underestimated him, I guess. Haru rubs the back of his neck nervously, directing his eye contact to the path underneath him, he could feel his heartbeat getting faster, as guilt starts to swarm his head.

I guess I was wrong... of course im wrong... I'm just an idiot

"I'm going to head straight home today; I feel like having some time to myself. I'll see you tomorrow" Haru utters before turning back to the original direction he was going and walks off, leaving Makoto to stand alone out the front of the school gate.

I have to leave, if I were around him for another second, who knows what I would have blurted out, he clenches his fist tightly as he holds the strap on his bag around his shoulder.

"Why...do I feel like this..." Makoto mumbles as his heart begins to thump, making him clench onto his uniform tightly.

Rin and the rest of the samezuka team walk down the long public road near the samezukas indoor swimming stadium, practice just ended for them leaving Rin and the others tired and drained from being pushed so hard from their captain.

"you didn't have to push us so harddddddddd!" a team member groans

"the next tournament is coming up! Of course, I had to!" the captain yells back with a determinate grin.

Being in this swim club feels like the army sometimes, but as long as it gets me stronger and faster, I can't really complain, Rin snickers as his hands are in his pants pockets as he walks.