➸ CHP 14

It was another quiet summer night; but knowing the current circumstances, it wasn't going to be this "quiet" for long. The whole Stray Kids gang came to the house an hour and half after Jaehyun called them because of this stupid NewKidd thing.

     Like Jaehyun had warned me earlier, I had to give my room up for a couple days due to space issues. It was hard fitting another nine people in a house that already was jam packed.

     So now I was alone in Jaehyun's room.

     Even though he and I were starting to enjoy each other's company, Jaehyun wanted me to stay in his room because I'd still get "quiet time" since he'd be up late every night.

     I did have "quiet time", but that didn't necessarily mean that I would be able to sleep. All of us felt a lot more stressed after this situation popped up; especially me since I was the one who saw Hansol. The whole thought of seeing him face to face literally haunted me.

     I tried everything to get myself to sleep: reading, turning the lights off and laying in bed...nothing worked. I felt tense, especially since I heard everyone talking about it in Jaehyun's office below me.

     "I'll grab some tea, I guess", I said to myself as I hopped out of bed, throwing my robe on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I tiptoed downstairs. The house was dark for the most part, but the oven light was on in the kitchen when I walked in.

     Jaehyun was in the kitchen, too.

     He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and was casually leaning on the kitchen island, sipping his iced whiskey in his bare feet.

     He didn't notice me right away when I walked up to the entryway. He was kind of staring off into space.

     "You good?", I asked him as I took a step into the kitchen.

     His head shot up, "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired."

     I nodded and went to turn the kettle.

     "What are you awake for? Is my bed not comfortable or something?"

     "I'm just a little...paranoid, I guess"

     Jaehyun took another sip of his whiskey. The air conditioners in the house buzzed.

     "So", I started pouring hot water into my mug under the oven light, "What are you up for?"

     "Just taking a break"

     "Stressed?", I asked as I walked over to the kitchen island next to him.

     "Nah...", he ran his hand through his distorted hair.

     I bit my lip. "Jae?", I started, "can I be completely honest about something?"

     "I don't see anything stopping you", he yawned.

     "Well", I took a deep breath, "I'm actually kind of, umm...scared?"

     He chuckled a bit. "You silly", he gently put his hand on my wrist and pulled me in for a hug, "There's nothing to be scared about"

     "You said Hansol was experienced though"

     "And I also promised to keep you safe, didn't I?"

     I nodded into his chest.

     "Could you do me a favor?", he asked.

     "Anything"

     "Go to sleep, please. The next couple days might get hectic, so I want everyone to rest up as much as they can"

     "Alright...", I pulled myself from his hug and turned to leave the room, "Good night"

     "Mhm", he smiled, "Good night"

     Before I walked up the staircase, I looked back into the kitchen.

     Jaehyun was alone again, and he sipped on his whiskey and buried his face in his hands.

     I bit my lip again. I couldn't help but feel bad.

     He said everything was ok.

     But was it, though?