➸ CHP 1

"18 MORE PEOPLE FOUND DEAD THIS MORNING"

     That's all that was on the news lately: deaths. Every time it was because of businesses making the wrong deals with the wrong people, and mafias added gasoline to the fire by  taking these deals to another level.

     "Turn that shit off, Miyoung", I told my best friend laying at the opposite side of the couch than me.

     "I'm sick of it, too, Hyuna", Miyoung told me a she lazily reached for the TV remote on the coffee table in front of us

      "We're all sick of it", I forced myself to sit up, "But that doesn't mean the chaos is gonna stop any time soon"

     Miyoung just sighed and studied my face.

     "You're thinking of mom", she and I locked eyes, "Aren't you?"

     Her words hit my heart like a bullet.

     She was right, though.

     I was thinking about my mom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ 16 years ago~

     "Stay in there", our house maid ordered Miyoung and I after she told us to hide in a linen closet without telling us why were hiding in the first place.

     "Why?", Miyoung asked.

     "Just-", our house maid bit her lip, "Just stay in there like I told you to"

     She offered us one last friendly smile and slowly shut the door.

     A few minutes went by, and Miyoung and I were too curious to sit in the closet any longer.

     We crawled on our hands and knees to the stairway where we were able to look through the poles and spot shadows on the large foyer's marble floor. I spotted the shadow of my mother and what looked like two other muscular men.

     "Where's the girl?", a man asked harshly, "Where's Hyuna?"

     Miyoung and I looked at each other with wide eyes. I remembered being completely confused on why they were mentioning me.

     "I don't know!", my mom shouted at them.

     "And you expect us to believe that?", the other man laughed. I saw his shadow walk closer to my mother and shove her in the shoulder.

     I was so angry. Who do these people think they were pushing my mom around like that? I went to stand up, but Miyoung's tiny hand pulled me back down.

     "Fine!", my mother yelled, "Use your eyes! Can't you see Hyuna's father isn't here, you idiots?! They're out somewhere"

     "At this hour?", he scoffed, "Sang must be out doing more of those experiments on her"

     Miyoung and I glanced at each other.

     Experiments? What were they even talking about?

      "Shut up", my mom's voice sounded a bit shaky, and I could see her clenching her fists in her shadow, "You know that night was a mistake. Don't make my husband look like some kind of mad scientist"