➸ CHP 18

I never really understood what I how feeling about NCT's deals with NewKidd until I talked to Jaehyun yesterday afternoon. After looking at him in the eyes, all my emotions built up, and out of nowhere, I was able to express what was going on in my head. I was able to put it into words.

     And it turns out that what I was feeling was fear.

     Not fear of NewKidd, of course. NewKidd was experienced, and they were dangerous, but I more scared of losing people who I was just starting to trust.

     Everyone in the NCT mafia was there because they went through the same things and had the same beliefs as I did. I never thought there were other people in this world could relate to me like that except for Miyoung. But NCT could.

     And more than anything...Jaehyun could relate to me. A lot. And after the last couple months, he and I got used to helping each other out. Well, I got used to going to him for things. Even though things loosened up between us like that, he was still a little shut in and distant when it came to talking about his problems. 

     "Hey, Hyuna", Jaehyun opened the door to his room, where I was watching TV on his bed.

     "Oh, hey!", my head shifted from the TV.

     I watched him put his business jacket on a hook and rolled up the sleeves of his dress shirt.

     "What were you dressed up for?", I asked.

     "Business. Hyuna, you see me wearing suits on a daily basis"

     "I know...What kind of 'business'?"

     He sighed and sat on the bed next to me. "Stray Kids and I are trying to arrange positions in case we have to deal with NewKidd", he glanced at the TV, "Whatcha watching?"

     "Goblin...", I was a little distracted, "What do you mean 'if you have to deal with NewKidd'?"

     He looked away from the TV and into my eyes, "Well, if your dad wants to find you as bad as it sounds, then Stray Kids and us here at NCT are probably gonna have to go deal with them"

     "I think we both know that my dad wants me back...obviously not for...me, but..."

     Jaehyun scanned my face, "Silly, he's your dad. I'm sure the ignolsium injection has a lot to do with him looking for you...but I know he cares about you because he's your dad, too"

     "Well, after we looked through those files in his office...It just seems like he never loved me for being his daughter"

     He sighed, "After we clear everything out with NewKidd, then we'll try to take care of your dad's situation"

     "Do you think he knows those files are missing after we took them the night we left?"

     "Most likely.", Jaehyun sighed and laid back into his pillow, " I don't think he would be as desperate to find you if the files were left at your house. We can get him in a lot of trouble with those"

     "I just want revenge right now...For all I know, he deserves it with what he's done to my mom and I"

     I loved these kind of conversations with Jaehyun. Obviously, this wasn't my favorite topic to talk about; but I was happy to just sit down with him and catch up. We all had a lot on our minds, and I appreciated that he was willing to keep me updated.

     I slipped my hand into Jaehyun's and rested my head on his shoulder, "I really wish none of this happened"

     Jaehyun smiled and adjusted the blanket on my shoulder, "If none of this happened, you and I wouldn't be talking to each other right now"

     "Yeah...", my voice started to fade into a whisper, "I guess you're right..."

     He and I laid there without saying anything. The sun was starting to set and another day was coming to an end.

     "Do you think we'll ever become strangers to each other again?", I asked out of nowhere.

     "What are you even talking about?", Jaehyun had his arm rested over his eyes.

     "You know what I mean...If I get handed over to NewKidd"

      "Hyuna, we'd never hand you over"

     "But Taeyong said-"

     "Taeyong tries to make himself seem strong like that...none of us here would even think about handing you over"

     "So if we were to run into NewKidd..."

    "I don't think that would happen for another month or so"

     "You sure?"

     "Positive.", he lifted his arm from his face and smirked at me, "Go to sleep, ok? There's a lot of stuff to do ahead of us"

     I nodded and laid down, resting my head in his chest. "Good night..."

     "Night, babygirl", he wrapped his arms around me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Knock knock.

     It was really late and the room was completely dark. Jaehyun and I had been asleep for a couple hours now, and I thought the rest of the house was asleep, too.

     But someone was knocking on the door now.

     I heard Jaehyun sigh as he rubbed his eyes and dragged himself to the door.

     "What do you want?", he asked Mark who was standing outside the room.

     "You and Hyuna need to get downstairs right now", Mark told Jaehyun in a quiet voice.

     "Why? What's going on"

     "Doyoung's kept an eye on the radar"

     "And?"

     "NewKidd's on the way"