33 | i should have told him

"I'm sorry, but we've really got our hands tied here," the officer was quick to shun me out. Though I'm quite certain his rudeness had most to do with the fact that I've been questioning his authority for the past hour.

I sit uncomfortably beside Taehyung, completely zoning out through all the endless clicking of keyboards and background chatter. All I could think about ever since I failed to illegally search for Jungkook in any medical databases was finding him— safe.

Taehyung remains just as adamant that I obtain all the information I could— maybe a little more so. Throughout our entire time at the police station, no one was able to provide me with any sort of valuable information. The current ongoing investigation was already confidential enough with Jungkook's father taking the lead. I'm most certain that he wanted nothing to do with me the same way my parents despised Jungkook.

It was foolish of me to think that I'd make any process on my own.

My only hope now was Namjoon and whatever strings he could pull from his end. Maybe I could check up on his and Naeun's newborn baby while I'm at it— a blessing I wasn't sure I was ready to experience again.

Taehyung spoke of his hopes for trying again, giving me little speeches of motivations every here and there. Meanwhile, I remained unmoved. Afraid of going through that same experience ever again. I was  positive that I'd never recover.

My worst heartbreak indeed.

In the middle of one of his speeches, he notices my absence. Taehyung pulls into a random parking lot and puts the car in park.

I raise my brow.

"Are you still upset? We've done all we could," he tries persuading me. "All that's left is to get with Namjoon and see what he could do. Other than that... I don't want you to stress yourself out too much."

He had good intentions, he meant well— that I knew.

"I can't control how this whole situation makes me feel. I just... nothing about this feels right," I'm know thinking about the entire situation at whole and trying to analyze where it all went wrong. All the endless possibilities that could've occurred.

Nothing.

My mind went blank.

"Leave it to me," Taehyung rests a hand on my thigh. With a little squeeze of comfort, he takes my hand and brings it to his lips. "I'll fly out to Namjoon first thing this weekend."

It was the first time I felt like we were actually getting somewhere. "I'll go with you."

He shakes his head. "You have your PR nightmare to focus on. Aren't you launching your makeup line next week as well?"

I couldn't even think about work. As tainted as my reputation had become over the past few months, I wasn't sure I had a career to even go back to. Right in this moment of time, none of it mattered if I were to weigh it to Jungkook.

I was only now realizing just how much I'd give up for him.

-

"And tomorrow you'll do another press conference first thing in the morning, I'll send your makeup team at 6AM sharp and we leave for 8. Don't forget that you have a meeting with your shareholders this afternoon," Davi doesn't miss one beat.