ii.

courtney's pov -

Driving this late at night made me feel like I was drunk. Or like I was in some warped version of reality - blinding traffic lights, the words pedestrians say sounding like static, the streets had new curves in them that I could swear weren't there before.

The thing that fucked me the most was the eerie sense of deja vu that washed over me. The way I get to Shayne's apartment is the way that I take to work. And I drove by the exact buildings that I passed just a few hours earlier when I drove home. Just darker. Emptier. I had to make a conscious effort to tell my tired brain to not take the car to the office. Shayne's. Going to Shayne's.

I got to Shayne's within minutes. A headache pounding my skull. I checked my phone as I parked: 2:15 am. Jesus. I shook my head and made my way into the building. 

I pushed the button to his floor into the elevator panel and leaned up against the chrome wall for support. Stuffing my keys in the front pocket of my backpack without looking, I exited the elevator once it opened. I counted my steps to his door on the right just to keep my brain alive. 

I softly knocked on the door twice and scanned the hall to see if anyone saw me. I heard a noise from the other side of the door, something resembling a wooden floor creaking.

The door opened and I was met with a tired Shayne. Not as much as me, though, but I could tell he hadn't been sleeping either. His eyes were heavy, but his hair was tame, and he wore navy blue lounge pants, black socks, and a grey cotton shirt. I must've looked like a drifter compared to him.

"Jeez, Court, you look rough." He stepped aside to let me in. Placing a warm hand on my shoulders, he steadied me as I wobbled inside and locked the door behind us.

"I know dude that's why I'm here." I threw my bag on his beige couch and walked over to his kitchen. He shot me a worried glance as I clambered onto one of the barstools near the counter. "My goddamn neighbor and his stupid music." I held my head in my hands over my ears as if to press the noise out. "I just want to sleep." I groaned out.

Shayne walked over to the other side of the counter and sheepishly grabbed the two mugs of some steaming liquid from his kitchen table. I immediately felt guilty.

"I made some tea. Maybe not the time?" He clanked them together. "They can wait"

"No no! I'm an idiot. Thank you. I'll take it." I held my hand out and Shayne placed a warm mug of tea in my hands. Gently and steady. "Here, let's go over there." I nodded my head toward his couch. He followed me over and took a seat on the chair next to the couch as I kicked my bag onto the ground.

"Do you need anything?" Shayne asked when we both had settled. I was seated on the couch cushion closest to the chair he was on. Only a small coffee table and an armrest separated us. I smiled and laughed quietly.

"No, I'm good." I took a sip of my tea. "Thanks for letting me come over. I really appreciate it." I held his gaze for a few seconds before looking down to place the warm mug on the low table.

"It's not a problem. You know my place is always open for you." He stuttered over his words. "I mean to anyone. Anyone who needs something." He raked a hand through his hair and exhaled.

"Woah, relax. I hear you." I leaned over to him and capped his knee with my hand. You're okay. "Relax. It's just me." I gave a small smile and brought my hand back to my lap. He nodded slowly and took a long drink of the warm tea.

"I know I know." He took a breath. "I just have Smosh on the brain." He tapped his fingers against the sides of the mug. "But honestly when don't I?" He laughed, a distinct air of pity wove in his throat.