lxxviii

shayne's pov -

When we finally brought Kai to the office, Sarah was the most excited to meet him. She insisted she would keep an eye on him if Courtney and I needed a break. I laughed it off, thanking her, but sure to tell her that we'd be fine. I could feel Courtney's skin pulse with protectiveness. I couldn't blame her. He'll be with us the whole time. I promise you.

We dressed Kai up in a tiny Smosh shirt, black shirt with colorful letters, a gift from Ian, and small, beige shorts. 

"He's adorable." Tommy said. He squeezed Courtney's arm as he stared at the baby pressed against her. "Definitley dressed for the occasion." He laughed. 

"He looks so much like you, Shayne." Ian smiled.

I felt light. Meeting his eyes, I clapped his shoulder. I cleared my throat, unblocking the cotton lump that threatened to tug happy tears from my eyes. 

"He's a handsome one." I hummed, nodding, placing a hand over Courtney's as she supported Kai's little head. 

"But he definitely has Courtney's smile." Monica added. Grinning at Courtney, making her chuckle and look down at Kai. Cooing at him as he reached his tiny hands up toward her. 

"Yeah," Noah agreed, a safe distance away, "Toothless and wet." 

I covered my mouth in attempt to hide my laughter, but Ian didn't hesitate to let out a string of belly laughs. 

Courtney rolled her eyes, playfully scrunching her nose at Noah. 

"Has everything at night been okay? With us, Arlo wasn't colicky, but he just wouldn't settle." Monica shook her head with dry laughter. 

"So far, it's all been smooth. Kai isn't colicky, thank god." Courtney said, hiking Kai closer to her chest. His small legs falling near her ribs.

"It's easy putting him down." I noted, shrugging. "This dude just wants to sleep all the time."

"That's amazing." Monica sighed. 

"We got lucky." Courtney added. "He just wants to-" She was cut off by a sharp squeal from Kai. He dug his fingers in his mouth and giggled. His bright blue eyes shifted from Courtney to me as he laughed again. 

He kicked his legs against Courtney, wiggling his body as he erupted into another fit of giggles. 

"He just wants to do this." Courtney sighed with a chuckle. Her eyes flitted to me before she placed Kai on the hardwood floor, bending down to hold his small hands to make him stand on his unstable legs. 

I laughed as I watched our coworkers gush at Kai stumbling and falling on his butt. Courtney and I do this for hours with Kai at home. Hold onto his fists as he unsteadily tromps around the house until he gets tired. 

"Need for speed, ah?" Garrett asked softly as he approached us. Arms crossed as he watched Courtney and Kai walk around. His eyes glued to Kai excitedly giggling and taking uneven steps. Garrett smiled. 

"He takes after Court's track days." Keith joked from the couch across the room. 

"Oh please." She scoffed, taking plotted steps as Kai bowed forward and backward with each shaky step. He giggled, trying to pick up the pace, but his tiny legs wouldn't comply. "He's a daredevil more than anything. Already pulling on things and trying to crawl in small spaces." 

"Like dad." Garrett laughed as he elbowed me. I chuckled and nodded. 

"The past few days he's played the 'how far can I throw my binky' game." I airquoted. 

"Oh how fun." Monica rolled her eyes all too knowingly. 

Courtney, stooped over and holding onto Kai's little hands, swung him gently as she took another step forward. Making 'wooshing' sounds as she did it again. Landing his small body a few inches further each time. Little toes tapping on the hardwood floor. Kai gurgled enthusiastically as Courtney let him try and walk again. Her fingers still wrapped around his. 

"What a cutie." Sarah said. Crouching down to Kai's level as they walked over to her. Scratching his chest with the delicate pads of her fingers.

Unable to stay away anymore, I took sturdy strides over to them. Stealing Kai off the floor, Courtney letting go as I did, I swung him up in the air before settling him on my chest. Planting him right near my left shoulder, little feet resting on my upper side, so I could see his perfect face clearly. Kai grinned uncontrollably, strings of drool seeping from his mouth. You do have your mama's smile, don't you? I plucked at his nose lightly. Making him chirp and babble with delight. His small hands pawed at my shirt.

I swayed from side to side, stringing sounds together as I held one of his hands. Touching it to my chest as I talked. 

"Babies understand babies." Courtney mocked me with a grin as she walked over. She ran a hand over Kai's head of fuzzy, just barely there, blonde hair. Forest green eyes watching him as he hummed brightly at the contact. 

"I guess so." Ian smiled. He watched us like a proud dad. 

"You're just not cool enough to know what we're talking about." I said, smirk playing at my lips as I kissed Kai's hand that I held. Bouncing him, making his ramble again. "Exactly, you tell her." I said, looking at him and nodding to Courtney. 

Courtney looked at Monica and shook her head. "Already two against one." She laughed. 

"Get used to it." Monica quipped with a friendly grin. 

Courtney's emerald eyes fell back to me, then down to Kai. She closed the gap and placed a hand on his back. She stepped to the side, looking at his face that laid against my chest, right ear to my shirt. Sighing sweetly, she wiped another cord of drool away from his mouth with her fingers. Rubbing it on my shirt as she cleared it. 

"I'm thrilled you guys brought him in." Sarah said, taking a step to stand next to Monica. 

"I'm glad he's so happy." I admitted. "I'm sure it's a lot for him. Just grateful he's still laughing." 

Courtney faintly squealed as Kai brought a hand to my chest. Lightly gripping my shirt between his fingers. My protectiveness melted into sheer, unadulterated love for my son. 

"You got a good one." Monica reassured us, laying a hand on both mine and Courtney's shoulders.

I looked at Courtney, pecking her cheek, then hoisted Kai up my chest again. His hand still rooted in my shirt. How did I get so lucky with you two?

-

i feel like monica would be such a good person to have around as a new parent tbh

almost at the end! :)