Chapter twenty-three: I'll stand by you

*Explicit content*

"Em come eat with us." Jimmy says calling me to a table with Denise, Rosie and her parents.

"No, I'm going to eat with the kids." I say.

"What?" Rosie laughs.

"Why?" Denise asks.

"Because believe it or not the kids are more mature if they don't like me or something about me they at least have the decency to tell me to my face." I smile before heading inside.

"Wow." I hear as I continue my way inside. The kids are happy to see me and are now watching the Lady and the Tramp.

"Emeraude." I hear Jimmy say as he steps into the living room.

"Don't take her away." Little Jaimie says as she holds my hand making me smile.

"Just for a little bit sweetie, I promise she'll be back." Jim assures the little girl. Jimmy  tilts his head towards the hallway and I follow him into his room.
We stare at each other for a few seconds. He looks at me and I can't get a read on him.

"I'm not apologizing." I say as I go through my bag.
"I know. I understand they're not being the easiest to get along with but please just try to understand." He says as I change into some yoga pants and a T-shirt.

"Understand what exactly?" I ask, turning to look at him.

"You're different."

"Explain, because I've tried to be friendly to them."

"They think you're talking down to them."

"Why would I do that?" I ask, my voice rising.

"Em you're wearing something that costs more than all the money they've ever earned."

"And that's my fault? I'm so sorry I have money. I'm so sorry my father and I have worked our asses off to have nice things." I dramatically say,  "I won't apologize for that James. If they think I'm talking down to them by trying to have a conversation and be accommodating I don't know what to tell you." I say throwing my hands up. "You're dressed just as nice and I'm sure they're wearing their best clothes, yet I'm the one taking the most shit because I'm the CEO's daughter? That's not fair."

"Baby I know it's not fair I'm just asking you to please just get through this dinner and we'll leave and I promise you'll never have to come back and socialize with them."

"But that's not fair Jimmy." I pathetically whine, "I want to be here. I want to have conversations with your neighbors about your childhood. I want to sit down with your mom and look through baby albums." My voice went from strong to weak in seconds. I feel like I'm about to cry. "I don't care when people don't like me. I know I can be a pain in the ass, I've built a career out of it, but when people don't like me for no reason I'm at a loss." I say and finally let some tears spill.

"Baby." He sighs coming towards me to engulf me in a hug. "I don't like seeing you like this."

"And I don't like acting like this." I mumble against his chest.

"C'mon let's pack up." He says moving to grab my bag.

"What?" I ask as I watch him pack our clothes.

"I want you in my life Em. You made me a better football player and a better man if they can't see that then maybe I shouldn't be here right now." He explains.

"Jim no." I shake my head.  "The last thing I want to do is take you away from your family. They already don't like me. I don't want to give them a reason to despise me."