Chapter Thirty Two

Emmy and I spent the rest of the day before the match sat outside talking with the twins

Emmy and I spent the rest of the day before the match sat outside talking with the twins. By this time, the rest of their family had arrived. Percy, who I remember from last year, was now graduated and had a respectable job in the ministry that he wouldn't shut up about. The twins also wouldn't shut up about it but that was because they would tease Percy after every word he said about it. Percy, trying to busy himself and not pay attention to the twins, was making tea for everyone, including Ludo Bagman, who seemed to work with Arthur, and kept on boasting about what a good job he did in organising the event.

"Any news of Bertha Jorkins yet, Ludo?" Mr Weasley asked. Ludo Bagman had sat down on the grass along with the rest of the Weasley's, plays Harry and Hermione and now me and Emmy.

"Not a dicky bird," He said, shrugging it off and nestling back comfortably into the grass, "But she'll turn up. Poor old Bertha . . . memory like a leaky cauldron and no sense of direction."

Malcolm had been talking about the disappearance of Bertha Jorkins on the way up to the portkey. Apparently she'd gone on holiday and never came back. Worked in Bagman's department at the ministry. Malcolm didn't seem to have a very good view of Bagman, especially now he was in no hurry to track down a missing person in his department.

"Lost, you take my word for it," Bagman continued although most people had stopped listening to him at this point, "She'll wander back into the office sometime in October, thinking it's still July."

"You don't think it might be time to send someone to look for her?" Mr Weasley suggested tentatively as Percy handed Bagman a cup of tea.

"Barty Crouch keeps saying that," said Bagman, rolling his eyes and sipping his tea, "But we really can't spare anyone at the moment. Oh! Talk of the devil! Barty!"

An uptight looking, elderly man had apparated by the fireside and stood stiffly, looking around at the gaggle of wizards all sprawled on the grass. Percy's eyes widened and seemed to gleam in admiration as he looked at his boss. The twins smirked and started laughing to themselves, glancing back at Percy every now and again to see if he'd embarrass himself or if they'd have to do it for him.

"Pull up a bit of grass, Barty," Ludo said cheerfully, patting the ground beside him enthusiastically, nearly spilling his tea.

"No thank you, Ludo," Crouch said, looking down his nose and him. He had an irritated tone to his voice, "I've been looking for you everywhere. The Bulgarians are insisting we add another twelve seats to the Top Box."

"Oh is that what they're after?" Bagman asked, "I thought the chap was asking to borrow a pair of tweezers-"

"Mr Crouch!" Percy burst out breathlessly, interrupting Ludo. Percy sunk into a sort of half-bow that made him look like a hunchback as if he'd thought about bowing then realised how stupid it looked halfway through, "Would you like a cup of tea?" He asked timidly, straightening himself up and clearing his throat awkwardly.