Failure? I Don't Think So!

Chapter 7: Failure? I Don't Think So!

Rider felt himself on something soft and warm. He sniffed the air, not quite sure what to expect. Smelled like disinfectant...like a hospital. He opened his eyes.

It was a hospital.

He quickly jolted upright, though a pain in his head made him wince. He noticed there was a bandage around his head and more bandages on his arms too. He looked around the white room, and everyone else was there, too, most of them still unconscious from...

Oh yeah. The test we...

Then it all came back to him.

Vintage vs Hex.

Who...WHO'D WON?!

"Oh, good, you're awake. The police are waiting to interview you guys," Rider heard someone say.

He looked over at the other side of the room and saw a starfish. Must be the doctor, or at least someone who worked here.

"Wait- Police? Wh...what did we do?" Rider asked nervously.

The doctor let out a small laugh.

"Calm down, they just want to ask you a few questions about what happened last night. It was all over the news yesterday," she said as she pulled out her phone. "Here."

Rider squinted at the video she was playing.

"This just in, a crystal from the Coral Reef Hotel has been stolen. However, there was nothing particularly valuable or special about it. The only trace of damage was on the actual glass box containing the crystal, but other than that, no property was destroyed. However, multiple security guards were knocked unconscious, and none recall any of the events that happened last night. Nobody knows who the criminal was or how many of them were there, but the police found four inklings and two octolings in their teens unconscious and beat up on the rooftop. There was one still awake, but he had several injuries on his body. He tried to tell the police who had caused it, but passed out before he could finish giving the colors of the foes. All of the cephalopods were taken to hospital at 4 in the morning, though it is not known what time the event happened. The incident was reported by a pedestrian walking around, when they saw a large sea monster jumping from rooftop to rooftop away from the hotel."

Rider was silent for a while. So they got the crystal... But what were they going to use it for? And...Vintage was still up? What had Hex done to him?

"So anyways, once your friends wake up too, the police will ask you some questions about what you saw and start an investigation. By the way, I must ask, what were you doing on the rooftop of the hotel at 1AM? Late night party or something?" the doctor asked.

Rider wanted to explain to her, but...he wasn't sure how she'd take it.

"Oh, um. My friends lost track of time, celebrating a birthday," he said as calmly as he could.

"Oh well. Your injuries aren't too bad, so you'll be able to leave by 4pm today. Does that sound okay? Except for a few of them, they've sustained some bad injuries... they'll be able to leave tomorrow," she replied.

Rider tried to look over to see who, but the pain in his head wouldn't go away. He stopped himself before he could view everyone.

"Well, I'll leave you to it. Get some more rest, it's 12:30 at the moment so you'll be ok to go soon. Just hang in there, alright? Take care. Don't overwork yourself," the doctor said, picking up her documents and walking out of the room.

"Rider. We have some planning to do."

Rider recognized that as Vintage's voice.

They sure did.