four

Maddox

Maddox

Calla Henrik was the last person I thought I would see again. As vague as our interactions were back in high school, I can remember Calla because she was one of the only ones, aside from Vance and the basketball team, who didn't seem bothered by my reputation. She would talk to me even when her friends were whispering behind her back, which was something I admired considering I was always on the receiving end of rumours. I knew how awful they could be and I was all too familiar with the emotional and mental damage they caused. All in all, Calla was a sweet kid who never let anything taint her perception of someone unless she experienced wrongdoing firsthand. Hopefully, she's still like that and wasn't just claiming she didn't care about home lives or past jobs to cover her ass if she declines Vance and I the jobs.

Speaking of her ass...I know I'm stepping out of line here, but Calla's ass looks more than fine in her orange-and-white Fox Racing pants. They're the Fox 360 Kila Motocross Pants, and I know for a fact that they're men's style because I used to have the exact same pair. It doesn't surprise me, though – Calla seems like the type of woman who wouldn't like pink being associated with motocross gear in the first place, let alone it being the only colour women's gear comes in. She also has the matching Kila jersey.

Actually, her whole outfit is hot. She's a combination of orange, white, and black, complete with even the four-hundred-dollar Fox Instinct Motocross boots I've been wanting for years now. As she swings her leg off of her dirt bike, I watch her long, blonde braid swing back and forth against her orange-and-black chest protector. Her helmet is all black, and when it's removed, she turns around, greeting me with a look of satisfaction and sparkly blue eyes. Across the bridge of her nose is a constellation of freckles. 

We're at the top of Blue Grouse Mountain after taking Trail 24, which is a black diamond trail. Calla clearly wasn't joking around when she said she was going to test out skills. Luckily, I've conquered every single one of these trails over the past five years. Yet despite knowing them, I still find some of them difficult. Like Trail 24. I have a love-hate relationship with this one. I broke my collarbone three years ago. To say my father was unhappy with this is an understatement. I'm surprised my collarbone was even able to heal. 

"I'm impressed," Calla says, tossing me a can of Georgian Bay Gin Smash. It catches me completely off-guard, mainly because I've been staring at her, and hits my chest protector before falling to the rocky terrain. I stoop down quickly to pick it up, shaking away any embarrassment and hoping she didn't catch me staring. "I didn't think either of you would be able to keep up with me."

I glance around at the view, taking in how small Kelowna and West Kelowna look from afar, the bridge connecting both cities a mere line across the lake. What I love most about this view, though, are the mountains. Up here, they look a darker shade of blue against the sky. "As I said before, I come up here a lot," I shrug. "I know it's frowned upon, but I do a lot of riding alone – but that's only when I'm doing easy or intermediate trails. I usually ask Vance to come with me or team up with other riders on the Facebook group when I want to do the harder ones."