twenty-eight

Maddox

Maddox

Waking up in Calla's trailer is bliss. I'm sprawled out across the bed, under the warm blankets and atop the feathery mattress. For the first time this summer, the kink in my neck is gone and I'm not battling the early morning chill to brave the outhouse. Rolling over, I reach for Calla, ready to pull her close and soak up the warmth of her body like I did all night. But all I feel is air and then the coldness of entangled blankets.

I open my eyes and turn to left; my cheek pressed against the pillow. Calla's not there. Frowning, I prop myself up on my elbows and rub the grainy sleep from my eyes. There's no indentation in the pillow. The mattress is cold. All that's left is the faint hint of coconut sunscreen and streaks of sunlight streaming through the blinds. Something important must've happened. Otherwise, Calla would've laid here until I woke up.

The covers fall from my body as I sit up, carefully swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. Although I'm feeling better than I did yesterday, I have to be careful with how aggressive my movements are. My bruises are still healing and I don't want to risk worsening them.

I exit the bedroom and pass by the bathroom. Just like the blankets and pillow Calla grabbed, I left my bag forgotten on the couch last night. I step into the couch-slash-kitchen area and observe my surroundings, noting that Calla isn't here. I frown, wondering where she went. If she's gone on another ride by herself, I'm going to handcuff myself to her so she doesn't ride alone, or I'm going to tie her to a tree until the sun sets. My concern for her makes me a hypocrite—I've gone on countless rides alone—but it doesn't faze me. I'll be a hypocrite if it means keeping Calla safe.

With my bag slung over my shoulder, I head for the bathroom and complete all my typical morning routines. I'm tempted to shower, but I decide I'm waiting until after the riding session is over. God knows I'm going to need to look presentable when Lindsay and Isaiah show up. I've met Isaiah several times, and he's been nothing but kind to me, but I'm terrified to meet Lindsay. Older sisters are a meaner, scarier version of the younger sister because they're used to protecting their younger siblings. Unless Calla has told Lindsay about us dating, I'm in for a real treat tonight—I have a feeling she's going to lose her mind. Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe Lindsay is more like Calla, and she won't judge me.

Shaking my head, I drag my fingers through my hair to loosen the knots. It'll be interesting to see Lindsay's reaction to my presence. All I can do is assume until it's happened.

After I've finished getting ready, I pack my bag and sling it over my shoulder. Despite the knick-knacks that decorate the space, the trailer feels empty without Calla. It also feels wrong to be here without her present. But I know Calla would say otherwise. Hell, she'd probably reprimand me for not making myself feel at home. Working up my courage, I set my bag down on the couch and step into the kitchen. She's got a coffee machine I want to use. I'll make it up to her somehow.

The process takes less than five minutes; before I know it, I have a hot mug of coffee in my hand and I'm stepping out into the fresh air with one textbook tucked under my arm. I may as well get some more early studying done before the session crew arrives.