twelve

Maddox

Maddox

Was kissing Calla wrong? Yes. Yes, it was.

Do I regret it? Yes and no. Mostly no.

While I know I have every right in the world to be happy and enjoy life, I can't risk Calla getting hurt. It was also way too soon to kiss her. Even if she did kiss me back, it was too soon. I should have asked her out on a date first. It's always the respectable thing to do. Granted, I was stuck in a different state of mind when I kissed her. No one has ever helped me, let alone taught me how to apply makeup. And that's not even half of it. I know how much Calla wants to step in and remove my father from my life to protect me. I have to give Calla props for helping me instead of trying to intervene. Intervening would only make things complicated, make my father aware of the role she plays in my life. And God knows he'll use whatever he can against me. I can't imagine Calla being on the receiving end of the things my father does.

Father issues aside, I was caught in the heat of the moment when I kissed her; I wasn't thinking straight and nor was I thinking about the potential consequences. I'm not going to deny that I have feelings for her. Calling it a crush makes it sound so childish, but I suppose that's exactly what it is. I want to get to know Calla more, figure out what's behind that stubborn, independent attitude. And judging by the way she kissed me back, I'm guessing she wants the exact same thing with me. Only, telling her everything terrifies me. I'm worried that any in-depth stories about what's happened in my past will scare her off and taking this chance will all be for nothing. Or worse, we'll just end up being the same as Elyse and I were; a couple who used each other to become better at motocross.

I sigh as I pull my helmet off. We're on the eastern side of the trail system, across Esperon Road and near Big Horn Dam. In the distance, I can see Terrace Mountain, where Calla and I were supposed to go this morning. One side of the mountain is surrounded by ombre shades of green, the other is bare from the 2009 fire that tore through the area. Personally, the side that didn't burn is my favourite. While the skeleton trees add a cool effect to the trail on the opposing side, there's a beautiful lake, unofficial campground, and waterfall on this side. I've been up there several times and I never get sick of the beauty.

"Man," Vance says, swinging his leg over his dirt bike. "I don't recall that trail being so rough."

"Me neither," I admit. It's true. Last year, when I looked at the map, it was marked as intermediate. But after going through a round of rain and snow, erosion has made these trails almost unforgivable and converted them to black diamond level trails. My arms are going to be sore tomorrow. "It must have been from the huge dump of snow we got in May and then the abrupt heatwave that followed."

"I'd say," Vance nods. He wipes away the sweat along his hairline. "That one section that was full of knotted roots is where I almost bit it. Thanks for zooming past me, by the way. Asshole. Can't even stop to make sure your cousin is okay."

"Vance," I snort, "if I would have stopped, we would have both stalled in the middle of the freaking hill. And you know what it's like to try and get the bike going again when you're in the middle of a hill. Besides, I stopped at the top and looked over my shoulder. You were fine. Don't be such a baby."