twenty-six

Maddox

Maddox

Although the problems continue to add up, I'm not letting them get in my way. This has been the best summer of my life, minus the bruising on my ribs and the black eye I have, and I'm not letting my father ruin it. I've settled into my new role, and I'm comfortable with it—both as Calla's boyfriend and one of the camp hosts. Although the Henrik family's business has already skyrocketed, I see so much more potential about what it could be when Calla takes over. She has many brilliant ideas that could benefit the business. Brilliant ideas that don't just include expanding the borders of the park area. She wants to add in two new loading-slash-unloading areas to make it easier for riders. She wants to hold events during the long weekends and bring families in the Okanagan together.

"I'm still sour about my dad not listening to me," she says. She's laying on the picnic table, her head hanging over the edge and face tilted up to the cloudy sky. The clouds are fluffy and white, and the sun is just beginning to dip behind the mountains. She tosses the notebook she's been scribbling in for the latter hours of the afternoon up in the air and catches it. "I want this new campground to have gained some momentum before I'm finished university."

I glance at the sky again. Despite the high cloud cover index, it's going to be bright out until at least nine o'clock—and evening rides are my favourite. Standing up, I set my textbook down and grab the notebook from Calla.

"Hey," she frowns, sitting up and glaring me down. "I'm using that!"

My mouth pulls to one side. "Let's go for a ride. You've been spending too much time brainstorming new ideas. This campground is running smoothly as it is." I tap her temple. "I'm sure all those brilliant ideas aren't going to disappear."

A light blush creeps across her cheeks. "You think my ideas are brilliant?"

"I do," I smile, tugging her down from the picnic table. She laces her fingers with mine as I tug her towards our dirt bikes. We left all our gear pooled around them after today's session with the eleven-year-olds. So far, I think they've been my favourite group to work with. They're just on the cusp of becoming intermediate riders, but also still need tips and a bit of help to push them forward. "Brilliant minds need to rest or else they become exhausted." I lean over and pick her helmet up, tossing it to her. She catches it, sending me a sardonic smirk. "Have you ever been to Blue Hawk Mine?"

Calla rolls her eyes. "Maddox, that mine is a myth. I've searched the area countless times for it, but I can't find it."

"That," I smile, pulling my chest protector over my head, "is because people have the wrong directions on all those hiking websites. While it is on the west slope of Blue Grouse Mountain, it's not located on the mountain; it's behind it, just off of Trail One."

"Maddox," Calla replies. "I've been riding these trails since I was a kid. It's impossible for a mine to be out here. Even if pictures exist, it's a hoax; they're probably from up in the Kootenays or something. I bet whoever posted about Blue Hawk Mine only wanted to send people on a wild goose chase."