twenty-four

Maddox

Maddox

After a scheduled meeting with an educational advisor at UBCO and an early deposit paid off for January's semester, I stop at the mall. In public areas, I'm not confident with exposing my face to others. As I'm stepping into Indigo, I pull my hat down and make sure my hair screens my face. I also double-check to make sure my wallet is in my back pocket. I try to avoid coming to a public place like Orchard Park Shopping Centre, but there are times like today when my appearance is inevitable. With all the money I've made this summer, I have enough to buy myself a new laptop and some books to enjoy. I'm also picking up Thai food for Calla and I. She'll be ecstatic—she regularly rambles about how much she loves Pad Thai.

Deciding I'm going to save the pleasure of browsing books for last, I head out of the store, passing by alluring book displays and plenty of tea mugs, and into the mall. I'm greeted by the smell of freshly baked pretzels. It's not my favourite—I much prefer the chocolate shop around the corner—because it reminds me of a carnival. Not that I have anything against carnivals. The smell of those deep-fried cinnamon doughnuts is my weakness. I just don't like how potent the smell is without the fresh air to cut it.

I walk past the pretzel store and take a left, heading toward Best Buy. The mall isn't busy today, which I take as a good omen. With less people, I don't have to worry about being recognized. It's almost... enjoyable.

As I get closer to the electronic shop, passing by stores that are semi-abundant with customers, my shoulders relax. Although my father makes it his job to know my whereabouts and scold me for not taking the right route, I don't think I need to fear something as mundane as shopping. I'm not someone who usually enjoys shopping, and I do most of it online if it's needed. The last place he'd expect me to be is the mall.

With the blue-and-yellow sign of Best Buy in my range of vision, I step around the corner of a vendor selling toques and hats with built-in Bluetooth speakers. The vendor tries to pull me in, telling me I could upgrade the hat I'm wearing. I politely decline him and continue walking. However, just as I'm turning my attention to the space ahead of me, I bump into someone. Two bags tumble to the floor.

A curse slips between my lips as I lean down to pick up the bags. "I'm so sorry."

"It's totally—Maddox?"

When I look up, I see Laurel standing in front of me. Her stormy grey eyes are filled with both concern and confusion, but the smile on her face seems genuine. Reaction to my presence aside, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react. I've seen Laurel twice since our cribbage tournament. She's still a little standoffish around me, but I like to believe she's warming up to me.

"Hi," I say. 

"Maddox!" Laurel throws her arms around me.

I blink, taking a step back. I don't mean to offend her, but I'm not accustomed to people hugging me in public. Especially in front of their wide-eyed friends who fear me. Maybe I underestimated Laurel's perception of me. Maybe she has warmed up to me. Although it feels strange, I hug her back. "Hey, Laurel," I reply. I hope my voice doesn't sound too cautious. "You haven't visited the campsite for a while."