thirteen

Calla

Calla

My arms and core are dead today, but I need to get to fixing those unmarked trails. Despite Maddox offering to tag along with me, I try to sneak out the next morning. After everything that's happened to him, as well as everything that's happened between us, I think he deserves to sleep in. It's going to be difficult for me to leave without him – I absolutely love having him around because I find we bring out the best in each other and can also communicate very well. We both have our flaws, mine being sticking my nose where it doesn't belong and Maddox's being too humble, but we're good together; we acknowledge these flaws and don't let them get the best of us.

After I've wolfed down a bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal, I quickly brush my teeth and use the bathroom – there's nothing worse than having to pee in the middle of a ride. When I'm finished in the bathroom, I quickly change into my motocross gear and head outside with my pre-packed backpack. I decided to pack some snacks and a couple of bottles of water last night before I went to bed.

I toss my backpack onto the picnic table and turn my attention to the locked plastic bin beneath the trailer. It's where I keep the rest of my gear: my helmet, gloves, boots, chest protector, and goggles. I also have a neck protector and some elbow and knee pads. Drawing my bottom lip between my teeth, I try to decide whether or not I'm going to need everything. The trail up to Terrace Mountain is pretty rocky, so it would probably be smart to have my knees and elbows protected just in case I wipe out. The neck protector is more for when you're in a denser area where branches are going to grab at you and rocks are going to spit up. I decide to go with the knee pads but leave the neck protector and elbow pads. I've been up Terrace so many times I doubt I'm going to fall.

When I turn around, I jump, a small yelp escaping my mouth. I also drop all the gear I just gathered up, my helmet rolling forward until it hits the toe of his boot. Maddox leans down and picks it up, wiping away the white dust from the rocks. "Were you planning on leaving without me?" he asks while he inspects the patterns on my helmet. I don't know why, but it feels like he's reading my nonexistent diary. Every scratch, every dent, every scuff mark has its own story.

"Um..." I shake my head. There's no point in lying to Maddox when he's caught me red-handed. "Yes," I admit sheepishly. I glance up at him and shrug, noting that his dirt bike is parked a few metres behind him. How did he get over here without me hearing him? "I thought you were going to still be sleeping. I figured you deserved some extra beauty sleep."

The bruises on his face look worse today but the swelling has gone down quite a bit. I know that, as soon as we get back, Maddox is going to hide in his tent and apply the makeup before the attendees arrive. I like, though, that he doesn't feel like he needs to cover up the bruises around me.

Softly, Maddox snorts, tracing the number twenty-one on my helmet with his finger. The only sticker I have on my helmet. "As appealing as beauty sleep sounds, I'll save that for tomorrow morning. We have the day off, remember."