forty-four

Calla

Calla

The time has come. The beginning of the end, as Vance likes to call it. Not because Maddox and I are breaking up or our lives are going to change when I step onto the plane for Edmonton. It's the beginning of the end because everything has changed. Maddox is free of the chains his father created. The risk of him facing abuse has ended, and he can see the light on the horizon. I can tell by the sparkle in his eyes. The sparkle is faint, but it's there.

Counselling has helped all of us throughout the past two weeks. Two weeks isn't enough time to heal completely, but we understand the tools we need to combat the trauma and emotional turmoil that's followed. Counselling has also brought the three of us closer together. Although I wish we never would've experienced Roman trying to murder all of us, I'm glad the three of us were there. I find comfort in having people who understand the extremity of what's happened around me.

Dark times have ended, and we can all see light on the horizon. There are still shadows we need to fight, but we've spent the past two weeks working for this new beginning. This beginning of the end. Our lives are ahead of us. Maddox now has a life ahead of him. He can attend school without looking over his shoulder. He has a new, safe place to live. He also doesn't have to worry about money now that he has access to the fund Hollie has been feeding since she left. Maddox has fourteen thousand dollars to spend on classes, textbooks, and basketball gear (yes, he made the basketball team for Okanagan College). I'm not excited about Maddox giving his mom a chance, but their relationship is none of my business. Besides, living with Hollie will be a much better experience than living with Roman. She's still in my bad books because she left him with his abusive father. However, Maddox is a good judge of character. If he can see something in his mom, then I trust him. I'll continue to act civil around her until Maddox states otherwise. There may be a time I can forgive her. 

I stare down at my carry-on, holding back tears. His scars will persist for a long time, but I couldn't be prouder of Maddox. He's shaped himself into someone every man should strive to be. Things had to become worse before they got better, and Maddox is finally getting the life he deserves. One full of promises that can be fulfilled and happiness that will overflow and fill his heart.

Vance will no longer have to centre his life around Maddox, either. He made the choice to protect his cousin, but now he'll be able to relax and spend more time focusing on himself and his family. Even Laurel. They've been inseparable since the incident. I'm grateful Laurel is attending her first two years at Okanagan College instead of heading straight to Victoria. Vance needs someone to support him in ways Maddox and I can't. I hope Laurel can be enough.

"He's a fine young gentleman," Mom says. She's staring at Maddox, who is stuck in a deep conversation about basketball with Isaiah, Vance, and Dad. I never expected to have such a big crowd wish me farewell before leaving for Edmonton, but seeing them makes my chest warm and my heart happy. "I can understand why you love him. The poor kid, though. I can't imagine what he's going through."