fourteen

Maddox

Maddox

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Even though Calla injured herself, I was immensely happy to be able to put my skills where they belonged. While I was stitching her up, I found out a few things about Calla. For one thing, she's revolted by her own blood, which I find to be quite funny, actually. She's never stuttered or been unsure of herself, but the moment she saw all the blood dripping from her elbow, her face turned green and her hands began to shake. She also gets very quiet when she's nervous about something. And, finally, she can handle the pain pretty damn good. I know those painkillers I gave her did little to nothing to help her get past the needle poking through her skin. 

Today's our day off, which is something I needed. As much as I love dirt biking, I'm looking forward to having a day of nothing but relaxing by the campfire and doing some studying. I've had this sudden urge to read through more of the textbook now that I know my medical skills could come in handy anywhere.

"I have to ask, where did you learn how to stitch someone up?"

I glance up from the dishes from breakfast I'm washing. Squinting against the sun, I see Calla standing there. She's got a bag slung over her shoulder and keys in her hand. The lanyard her keys are attached to is pink and patterned with crescent moons and different astrological symbols. I stare at it, rubbing my jaw. "Is that a Sailor Moon lanyard?" I finally ask. I'm slightly embarrassed because I know Calla is going to want to know how I know that, but I don't mind answering that question.

She glances down at her keys, a surprised look on her face. "Yeah," she replies. "It is. How'd you know that?"

"Allison," I reply. "She watches the remakes on her iPad and sometimes drags me into it, too. I've taken a certain liking to the show. I just never have the time to sit down and watch it."

"Really?" Calla chuckles.

"Nah," I laugh, shaking my head. "I'm not a fan. I sit and watch it because Allison likes having me there and it's fun to spend time with her." I wipe my hands on the dry cloth I have laid out on the picnic table. I'm nervous about telling Calla about how I learned to stitch someone up, but it's more because of the story not because I'm worried she's going to judge me. I already know that she respects me and cares about me. "Anyway, I learned from one of my Dad's friend's wives."

Call nods as she follows along.

I roll back the sleeve of my jersey and show Calla my tattoo. A couple of years ago, Vance and I got tattoos together. Both of us got three small triangles along our forearms. The only difference between them is that the top triangle on Vance's arm is shaded black, while the middle triangle is shaded black on my arm. We did it this way because it signifies who the older family member is. We're also hoping that when Allison is old enough, she'll decide to get a tattoo and go for the exact same one, filling in the bottom triangle. "Vance and I got these a couple of years ago," I explain. Calla reaches out and traces her fingers over the tattoos, a crease forming between her brows.