15. Behind Blue Eyes

[Everybody Loves a Clown]

The siblings stood in front of a funeral pyre -- John's. The only light came from the wrapped, burned body. Standing behind, hands in pockets, were Sam, Dean and Natalia. Sam was near tears and fidgeting, Dean was staring into the flames silently, and Natalia was staring at the flames blankly.

"Before he... before, did he say anything to you? About anything?" Sam asked.

Dean didn't look at Sam as he answered, "No. Nothing."

JUNKYARD - ONE WEEK LATER

Dean was underneath the Impala working on it, only his legs sticking out. Natalia was sitting next to him, handing him tools he needed. It was still a rusted frame, but looked less crunched.

Sam approached. "How's the car coming along?"

"Slow," Dean answered.

"Yeah? Need any help?"

Dean dropped a tool heavily. "What, you under a hood? I'll pass."

"Need anything else, then?"

Natalia shot Sam an annoyed look and stalked to stand in the shade, away from her brothers.

Dean pushed himself out from under the table and stood. "Stop it, Sam."

"Stop what?"

"Stop asking if Nat or I need anything, stop asking if we're okay. We're okay. Really. I promise. She promises."

Natalia noticed Dylan looking at her worriedly and shot him a look before rejoining her brothers, deciding it was better to be with them. Either way, she'd be given unwanted sympathy.

Sam pursed his lips. "All right, Dean, Nat, it's just... We've been at Bobby's for over a week now and you two haven't brought up Dad once."

"You know what? You're right. Come here. I'm gonna lay my head gently on your shoulder. Maybe we can cry, hug, and maybe even slow dance."

Natalia saw Dylan walking outside and held out her hand as she asked sarcastically, "Oh, hey. Would you like this dance?"

Dylan frowned. "Maybe when you address your father's death."

"My father's what? I didn't hear you."

"Your--" he paused, knowing he'd get nowhere with her and they walked back to the boys.

"Don't patronize me, Dean, don't patronize Dylan, Natalia, Dad is dead," Sam said. "The Colt is gone, and it seems pretty damn likely that the demon is behind all of this, and you and Nat are acting like nothing happened."

"What do you want me to say?" Dean asked.

"Say something, all right? Hell, say anything. Aren't you two angry? Don't you two want revenge? But all you two do is sit out here all day long buried underneath this damn car, and Natalia helps."

"Revenge, huh?" Dean and Natalia questioned.

"Yeah."

"Sounds good," Dean replied. "You got any leads on where the demon is? Making heads or tails of any of Dad's research? Because I sure ain't. But you know, if we finally do find it -- oh. No, wait, like you said. The Colt's gone. But I'm sure you've figured out another way to kill it. We've got nothing, Sam. Nothing, okay? So you know the only thing I can do? Is I can work on the car and have Nat help me."

Dean crouched by the car again, getting back to work and Natalia handed him tools.

"Well, we've got something, all right?" Sam pulled out a cell phone. "It's what I came by here to tell you. This is one of Dad's old phones. Took me and Dylan awhile, but we cracked his voicemail code. Listen to this."