Chapter 23

The morning sun streamed through the curtains of my chamber, casting long shadows across the room. Despite the gentle light, the weight of my situation felt heavy and unyielding. My mom had insisted I meet with Prince Astrid this morning here at South Palace.

The headlines had already made our engagement the talk of Scarabaegaria, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in the midst of an elaborate performance I had not fully prepared for.

I lay in bed, my thoughts tangled. I had chosen this path because it was the best of the options available to me, marriage to Astrid seemed preferable to the alternatives of stepping down or a politically fraught engagement or a distant relative claiming the throne. Even so, the prospect of facing him now was nerve wracking, especially given that just a month ago, I had rejected his heartfelt confession.

I was taken aback when someone knocked on my door. Mom entered, her expression is what you call more than happy. "Kalila, it's time. Prince Astrid is waiting for you in the dining hall. I've arranged a private breakfast so you can have a chance to speak with him." Hindi niya matago ang saya nya.

I rolled over, burying my face in the pillow. "Mom, kailangan ba talaga ngayon? I'm still reeling from the announcement. I'm not prepared to face Astrid." If only you know mom, hiyang hiya na ako.

Her face gaze softened but held firm. "Kalila, it's important. This is part of your new role and responsibilities. You need to start building a bond with your fiance. Now, get dressed and come downstairs. I'll ensure everything is ready."

I got out of bed and dressed in a carefully chosen dress that balanced elegance with formality. As I looked at my reflection, the reality of the engagement was setting in, and the thought of meeting Astrid was both intimidating and awkward. Why did I do this to myself!

Entering the dining hall, the atmosphere felt unusually serene, an opposite of the pressure inside me. The dining room was tastefully decorated, and Astrid was already seated at a table set with a lavish breakfast spread. He looked up as I entered, his expression serious and controlled. See, hiyang hiya na ako.

"Princess Kalila," he said, rising from his seat and bowing slightly. His tone was formal, betraying none of the warmth I had seen in him before. "Good morning."

"Good morning, Prince Astrid," I replied, trying to sound as composed as he was. "Thank you for joining me." To whoever god is listening, may you guide me from my stupidity.

He gestured for me to sit opposite him. "Please, take a seat. I trust you are adjusting to the recent developments?"

I sat down, feeling the formality of the situation settle over me like a heavy metal. "I am... managing. But I'm still coming to terms with everything."

Astrid nodded, his gaze steady and serious. "I understand. The transition from rejection to formal engagement is undoubtedly challenging. I must admit, I did not anticipate our meeting under these circumstances." He sounded like what I did was a total joke. Well guess what! Jokes on me talaga. "And while the public is enthusiastic about our engagement, I believe it's important for us to address the reality of our situation directly. This engagement, while necessary for our respective roles, comes with its own set of challenges." Astrid's tone was measured, but there was a firmness in his voice.

I nodded, ang bigat sa feelings nang mga salita nya. "I agree. I chose this path because it was the most practical given the circumstances. But I am also aware that there are personal dynamics we need to settle."

"Indeed. It's important that we approach this with mutual respect and understanding. Despite the nature of our engagement, I am committed to making this arrangement work. I hope we can find common ground as we move forward." I was trying to read his expression.