Chapter 4

I was resting in the living room of my condo, indulging in a Netflix marathon, when the doorbell rang with an urgent *ding-dong*. Someone was at the door.

As I shuffled towards the entrance, I mentally ran through a list of potential visitors.

It couldn't be Romeo, he knew my unit's passcode and had a knack for popping in unannounced, as if he lived here. Seriously, I'd turn around to find him raiding my fridge or binging on my TV shows. He was way too at home!

Christian was out of the question too, he practically walked into my place like he owned the place.

Tamad naman na bumisita sila Ayi dito dahil busy din yung mga 'yun at kung pupunta man yung mga 'yan dito magtetext o tatawag sakin yung mga 'yun.

And please, I hoped it wasn't a guy, because I was in my ultimate lazy outfit, the typical shorts and a crop top. Perfect for a day off spent in front of the TV. I was all set for a Netflix and chill day, emphasis on the chill.

I flung open the door and was greeted by my mom's beaming face. Behind her was Kuya Jerry and three men in black suits.

"Surprise!" my mom cheered, waltzing right past me into my condo.

The three men in black bowed deeply, eyes trained on the floor. "Good evening, Young Lady," they chorused in perfect unison.

"Uh, hi?" I managed to mumble, feeling slightly awkward.

I expected all four to enter, but it was only Kuya Jerry who brought in a mountain of paper bags. Meanwhile, Mom was exploring every nook and cranny of my place.

"Mommy, what—" I started to ask, but she cut me off with a warm hug.

"I miss you, sweetie," she said, pulling me towards the kitchen and seating me on a bar stool at the counter. She perched herself right across from me. "Are you eating properly?" she asked, running her fingers through my hair.

"Yes, Mom," I smiled back, hoping to ease her worry. As Kuya Jerry entered with yet another load of paper bags, Mom squeezed my hand. "Where's Daddy?" I asked.

"He's busy, sweetie. I miss you so much. Even though I want you to come back to Scarabaegaria, I know you're not ready," she said, a touch of sadness in her voice. "But if you decide to come home, you know you're always welcome, right?" She gave me a look that made me just nod. I didn't want to tell her how much I was adjusting to living alone.

I didn't want to admit how much I missed home. "You've become such a fine woman now, sweetie," she said proudly. "You've managed to stand on your own and chase your dreams." Her eyes glistened with emotion.

You're mistaken, Mommy. This isn't what I wanted. I'm happy with my job now, but I miss being a princess. If only I could go back to that life. I'd give up everything for it. But it's too late. I don't want to undo my decision. Everyone's doing just fine without me.

And, as painful as it is, I don't have a choice. I won't push myself where I'm not wanted. I made this choice for myself, and I'm not blaming anyone.

I gave my mom a smile and a hug to lighten her mood. I know she misses me a lot, and I appreciate the love she showers me with.

"So, where's Romeo?" Mom asked, her eyes twinkling. "I contacted him last time and told him I'd be at the condo. I invited him over so I could hang out with him," she said with a smile. Mom then started unpacking the groceries she'd brought.

"Mom, this is way too much! I have plenty of stock and then some. I'm not planning on opening a supermarket here," I complained.

Romeo will be the only one benefiting from this. He acts like he's always starving!