Chapter 14

Astrid abruptly stood up. "Let's eat first," he declared authoritatively, then walked off without a backward glance.

Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Nang lumabas ito ng lobby ng hotel sinundan na lang namin siya. Dumiretso ito sa sa basement parking ng hotel. Sumakay naman ako sa back seat ng kotse namin ng pagbuksan ako ni Kuya Jerry.

Isinandal ko naman yung ulo ko sa hilo dahil wala pa talagang laman tyan ko. Nakarinig naman ako ng pagbukas at sara ng pinto ng kotse. "Where are we gonna eat? I'm starving na." Tanong ko dito pagsara ng pinto.

"Where do you want?" Napamulat ako ng makilala ko kung kanino galing ang boses yun.

"What the hell?!" Hindi ko mapigilang sambit ng makita na si Astrid ang nasa driver seat. "Where's my butler?" Nagtataka kong tanong. Hindi naman niya ko pinansin at inistart nag engine ng sasakyan!

"What? Am I your driver? Pumunta ka dito sa unahan." he said flatly, gesturing to the front seat. Unbelievable.

"Exactly, you're not my driver! Bring my butler back!" I shot back, glaring at him.

"They've already left, and if you don't move up here, I'll leave you behind and you can starve for all I care," he retorted, giving me a steely look.

Fine, if that's how it is.

I stormed out of the car and slammed the door shut, determined to find my own way home. Just as I was about to walk away, Astrid's firm grip tightened around my arm, pulling me back with an unexpected force. "Kalila," he said, his voice low and tight, "stop. We're not finished here."

I spun around, meeting his gaze with frustration. "Ano pa bang kailangan mo, Prince Astrid? You've made your point. Just let me be."

His eyes softened for a moment. "It's not about what I want. It's about what you need," he replied quietly, his tone betraying an undercurrent of concern.

I stared at him, searching for any sign of insincerity but finding only a guarded sincerity. "I don't need anything from you," I said firmly, though the weight of his words lingered on me. Fuck this.

Astrid's expression hardened again, but there was an almost imperceptible shift, a silent acknowledgment of the boundary I was trying to enforce. "Fine," he said, his voice carrying a rare edge of vulnerability. "If you need space, I'll give it to you."

As the car approached the restaurant, the city lights cast fleeting shadows over the interior. The silence between us was thick with unspoken words and simmering emotions. Astrid's hands gripped the steering wheel with a tension that mirrored my own, though he maintained a stoic expression. Ang gulo niya.

"Tell me," I said, breaking the silence with a carefully controlled tone, "Bakit ka nag insist on driving? It seems rather... informal for someone of your position."

Astrid's eyes remained fixed on the road, his jaw set. "Sometimes, practicality overrides formality," he replied tersely. "You seem to value formality quite highly, though." Yeah, something I learned from you 8 years ago.

I straightened in my seat, determined to keep my composure. "I do. Especially when it concerns our roles and interactions. We are future rulers, and it's crucial that we maintain professionalism." Well, tingin ko naman may point ako.

Astrid's grip tightened momentarily on the wheel before he replied, his tone colder than before. "Noted," he said, his eyes never leaving the road. "I assure you, my intentions are as professional as yours."

I glanced at him, trying to see his reaction. "I hope you do. I'm only trying to ensure that our relationship remains focused on our mutual responsibilities, rather than becoming... complicated."