Chapter 11

It was exactly 7 p.m. when I finally emerged, fully prepped for tonight's grand event. I was wearing a royal blue, deep V-neck, long-sleeve shoulder cape backless mermaid gown that screamed elegance. Paired with my royal blue stilettos, light makeup, and half-braided hair, I felt like a modern Cinderella, minus the pumpkin carriage. My only accessories were diamond earrings that sparkled like stars in a midnight sky.

Tonight was the big night, the continuation of the event where I had to choose my future husband. The morning was for introductions. Tonight was all about dancing and deciding. No pressure, right?

"Her Royal Highness Kalila Luna, Crown Princess of South Scarabaegaria." Walking down the grand staircase, I felt like I was living out a fairy tale, minus the fairy godmother. Everyone's eyes were on me, and I could practically hear the collective gasp as if I were the star of a royal spectacle. Okay, maybe not, but it felt good to imagine!

My first dance was with my father, who showered me with compliments and fatherly advice on picking a worthy suitor. "Remember, dear," he said, "choose someone who will make you laugh and keep you happy." I nodded earnestly, trying to look like I was absorbing his wisdom. Inside, I was thinking, Taray, may pa-judge ang lolo niyo! Kidding aside, I was focused on making this work.

Then, unexpectedly, Astrid appeared for the second dance. Astrid wasn't on the list of potential suitors, but I couldn't help but wonder, could I choose him instead? Just as I was pondering this, he stood before me, flashing a warm smile. We took to the dance floor, surrounded by other couples, but it felt like we were alone in our own little world. His smile was all the communication we needed. I tried to speak but found myself oddly mute.

We swayed together like old times, and I couldn't shake the feeling of nostalgia. Our dance was effortless, like slipping into a favorite old sweater. Despite his past reservations, I wanted to believe things could be different now. "Someone wants to talk to you," he said, breaking the spell. I turned, eyes widening as if I'd seen a ghost.

Albri Peterson stood there, Adreanna's boyfriend. Memories of our past washed over me as I embraced him. The hug seemed to last a minute, though it felt like both an eternity and no time at all. "Kali, I'm so glad you're back in Scarabaegaria. I've been looking forward to seeing you." I quickly led him to a quieter part of the palace where we wouldn't be interrupted.

We settled on a bench in the garden, with the fountain's gentle spray in front of us. "Where have you been?" I asked, barely containing my excitement.

"Desi," he said, smiling up at the sky. "Studying," he added, his answer eliciting a surprised chuckle from me.

"Really? After all this time, you're still studying? What's the course?" I asked, intrigued.

"I've entered seminary," he said, looking at me for my reaction. My eyes welled up with tears, surprising both of us. I hadn't even noticed the tears falling until they were rolling down my cheeks.

Albri was quick to comfort me, brushing my tears away. "It's not your fault, Kali. Adreanna's death wasn't your doing, and my path to the priesthood was my choice, not yours."

I tried to steady my breathing. "I didn't want to cause anyone pain. I feel like I've been living with this guilt for years," I admitted, my voice cracking.

Albri's gaze softened. "Adreanna would be proud of who you've become. She always said you were growing braver every day. She'd love to tell you that herself if she could."

The weight of Albri's words seemed to crush me further. I could barely breathe, my chest tightening with the pressure of my own remorse. I clenched the edge of the bench, trying to ground myself as the memories of Adreanna and the fractured pieces of my own heart collided in a storm of guilt.