Chapter 12

"Katamad," I muttered to myself, burying my nose deeper into the law books. Each page seemed to stretch on indefinitely, dense with legal jargon and historical precedents that blurred together.

"Your posture!" Miss Audrie's voice cut through my frustration with an edge that could make a drill sergeant sound like a kitten. Instantly, I straightened up in my seat, feeling as though I were a marionette on strings, yanked into an upright position.

Miss Audrie Johnson, head of Hadria and my personal tutor, had a reputation for being as formidable as she was brilliant. As the future queen, I'd hoped that perhaps my royal status would grant me some leniency, but it seemed to only intensify her commitment to ensuring I commit to every detail of my education.

Today's lesson was on the importance of royal obligations, a subject that was as dry as it was critical.

The private study room at Hadria was opposite to the grand halls of the school. Here, it was just Miss Audrie and me, surrounded by shelves of ancient texts and walls adorned with historical relics. The quiet intensity of the room only seemed to magnify the enormity of the task before me.

Miss Audrie's gaze was as piercing as ever as she paced before me, her heels clicking sharply against the polished wooden floor. "Your understanding of these royal protocols is not just academic, Your Royal Highness. They are the bedrock of your reign."

I tried to focus on her words, though my mind kept drifting to more enjoyable distractions. The weight of the royal duties laid out in front of me felt overwhelming. "Bakit ang dami?" I asked, struggling to mask my frustration.

"Dami?" Miss Audrie arched an eyebrow, her tone sharp. "These protocols are designed to protect the integrity of the crown and ensure that every decision you make is both informed and just. The complexity is not a burden but a safeguard for the stability of your reign."

Her words were a reminder of the responsibility that came with my position, a reminder that these lessons, though boring, were essential. I sighed and refocused on the document in front of me, trying to untangle the dense legal language.

Miss Audrie continued her relentless drill, posing questions and challenging me to apply historical precedents to hypothetical scenarios. Each query was a test of my comprehension, pushing me to connect the dots between past and present, tradition and governance.

The one-on-one setting only amplified the pressure. It wasn't just about passing a class, it was about being prepared to lead effectively, to uphold the responsibilities that came with the crown. The endless study sessions, though monotonous, were a necessary investment in the future I was expected to shape. This was magical in my dreams yet torture in my brain. Nakakabobo.

Miss Audrie's eyes narrowed as she surveyed the stack of books and documents spread out before me. "Now that we've covered the foundational aspects of royal protocols, let's turn our attention to the intersection of politics and agriculture," she said, her tone leaving no room for argument.

I shifted in my seat, trying to focus. Politics and agriculture might seem like unrelated subjects, but in the realm of governance, they were intricately connected. Understanding their relationship was crucial for any ruler, especially one like me who would need to balance both to maintain stability and prosperity.

"Let's begin with the political framework," Miss Audrie said, picking up a thick volume from the pile. "As a queen, your role is not only to enforce laws but also to ensure they are relevant and beneficial to your subjects. This means understanding the political landscape of your kingdom and how to rule it effectively."

She opened the book to a chapter on political theory and governance. "Political stability relies on a delicate balance between various branches of government. You'll need to be familiar with the structure of your kingdom's government, including the executive, legislative, and judicial branches. Each has its own role, and your ability to work with them harmoniously will influence your effectiveness as a ruler."