13

CHAPTER 13
Toccata in D minor — Hannes Kästner

//

Today I managed to get some fresh air because I went to give some coffee for my father. He was happy to have a hot drink.

If obeying meant fresh air, then that was fine.

He wasn't happy to see me, but he knew I would be the only one bringing him his coffee. "Thank you. Now go straight home." He waved his hand and ushered me out of his office as I listened.

The walk back was nice. I was without Es and it felt calmer, nicer to be alone freely.

However, I came home to see a dead, tawny coloured cat laying on the pavement. It made me stop in my tracks, taking a few steps back as I tried to process the horrible image. Eyes closed and dried blood. Even now, it's still in my head and I feel traumatised.

I started crying.

I called my mother so I could know what to do. She didn't pick up due to her busy schedule. Es was also busy in the house, so I had one option left and that was to call my father. He did pick up.

"I'll be there."

So he drove back, parked the car and stormed up to me. "What on earth are you crying for?" He looked at the dead cat before us and frowned in disgust. "Stop crying over a fucking cat."

Then, with his bare hands, he placed the dead cat in the trash.

I rushed towards him immediately. I almost gripped his arm in surprise, I wanted to swing open the trash lid. "What? Why can't we bury it?" I questioned his actions, eyes wide as I watched him walk away. He wasn't listening.

I sighed, wiping away my tears and also walked away from the trash. I followed my father into the house and went to my room.

The sun set and eventually, night came. I couldn't bring myself to eat because I couldn't stop thinking about the unfortunate cat. How it laid in the bin. It didn't deserve to be put at peace like that. No one questioned me not eating.

So after many crikey's, I climbed out of my window in my thin gown and headband and went into the quiet night. Classical, upbeat music played from my bedroom, including differing piano keys. The pitch got higher as I neared the trash that held the dead cat.

"It's okay now." I whispered and took the cat out of the trash.

I made a hole with my bare hands, dirt getting stuck under my nails as I buried the deceased cat. Tears fell out of my eyes as Beethoven ended his tune.