8. The Eighth Art

"It's really good, man," Will said to me. "You're gonna be a great writer."

I thanked his compliments with a smile.

At lunch, Will was reading the book I was starting to write, the same story as the comics, but written in a book.

It was the first day of school after the winter break. Our last first day. The beginning of the end, it seemed appropriate to show my future plans to my friends.

"And what do you think, Kyle?" I asked.

Kyle was vaguely looking out the restaurant window, and turned quickly when he heard his name, coming back to reality. "What?" He asked.

"What do you think about the book?" I repeated. 

"Oh..." Kyle raised his eyebrows. "It's great!" He said and looked out the window again.

Will and I looked at each other confused. "Okay Kyle, what's going on with you?" Will asked him. "You're quieter than usual."

For a few moments, Kyle just stared at us. "Okay." He said and took a deep breath, preparing to speak, which showed us it was serious, "I think I have feelings for Jade."

My jaw dropped.

We were silent for a few seconds, nobody knew what to say. My mind didn't know what to think. I was still trying to digest the new information, and Will's wide eyes were divided between me and Kyle.

"Okay..." Kyle said, looking at us suspiciously, "I knew you'd be surprised, but not that much."

Will realized I was still shocked, so he cleared his throat to answer. "We just..." He started without much certainty. "We just thought you were not that kind of guy."

Kyle chuckled. "Yeah, I thought I wasn't too. But I knew something different was going on with me since that party... I mean, I'm really peaceful, you know, I don't punch other guys like that."

"You were high, Kyle," Will commented.

"Well, that should've made me even more peaceful, right?" Kyle laughed. "Anyway, when we were at the beach, I realized I want to be with her all the time." He smiled, "I can hear her talking about movies all day... She makes everything look so interesting."

Will looked at me, waiting for some reaction, but I was still shocked. "Maybe it's just a crush." He said to Kyle, shrugging one of his shoulders.

"Will..." Kyle took a breath before speaking, "I think about everything, I try to understand everything... But I couldn't understand what was happening to me, and I wasn't supposed to! There is always some madness in love."

I was surprised again. He used the L word.

"Well," Will raised his eyebrows. "If you say so..."

"I don't say," Kyle replied, "Nietzsche said." Smiling, he looked at Will and me again. Then, he looked down, shook his head and laughed. "And Plato said it's a serious mental disease. Even the great philosophers called it madness... How am I supposed to understand it?"

Kyle took a deep breath, looking at the window again, and then stood up, "I'm gonna get some coffee." He said, leaving the table.

Will followed him with his eyes. "Dude, you have to tell him!" He spoke to me when Kyle was away.  "It's Kyle, he wouldn't do anything to hurt you."

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. "And say what?" I asked rhetorically. "Look, Kyle, I've been in love with her for a few years, so I would really appreciate it if you don't tell her about your feelings. Hey, we can suffer together! Let's make a club!" I said, ironically.