7. Kings In The North

Have you ever wondered which feeling you feel the most?

If our feelings were calculated and, after some time, we received the results, which one would be winning?

And would they have the same value? Are love, happiness and peace worth the same as anger, sadness and pain?

I bet we all have different answers to these questions, and we also change our own answers throughout life. Because life is constantly changing.

At the end of that year, we went to Jade's grandparents' house. It was after Christmas and the day before my birthday.

I was born on December 27, as a late Christmas gift for my mother. Her words, not mine. I always thought it was funny how mothers remember the birth of their children as a happy moment, ignoring all the pain they felt. In this case, happiness is more valuable than pain.

"This is Arya!" Jade said, when we arrived at her grandparents' house.

Will raised his eyebrows. "Whoa, she looks like a wolf!" He said, petting the dog.

Jade smiled. "Yes, Arya Stark!"

"Hey, girl!" I said to Arya when she came to greet me, wagging her tail. We had met before and I was glad she seemed to remember me. 

Jade's grandparents had traveled and asked her to take care of Arya. So, she invited us to stay with her at the house near the beach.

We took Arya for a walk on the beach during that cold afternoon. There was a thin layer of snow along the way, which made the place even more beautiful.

"This is amazing!" Anna shouted excitedly when we arrived at the beach.

Jade stopped beside her and smiled. "It's like a piece of paradise, isn't it?" 

"Snow... A wolf..." Will spoke, walking on the sand. "We're the kings in the North!" He shouted with an accent, spreading his arms and looking up at the sky.

Kyle looked at me with raised eyebrows, and we laughed at Will.

"Come, Arya!" Jade said, running closer to the sea, and Arya ran excitedly after her.

Kyle, Will and Anna joined them, and I sat on the sand, a few steps away from my friends. I watched them, enjoying the moment. It was a pleasurable happiness. The stunning view, the sound of my friends laughing. Simple and epic moments. They were like drugs for my mind. 

At that moment, I would say happiness was the most valuable feeling for me. Not because it feels good. No, that would be too easy.

It's about the law of supply and demand.

I'm not an economics expert, I'm far from it. But this law goes beyond economics. Considering happiness is demanded by all of us and supplied to only a fraction of people, its value increases. Therefore, happiness becomes even more valuable.

And that day, I was a billionaire.

"Hey!" Will shouted, bringing me back to reality. "Winter is coming." He thickened his voice and laughed.

He sat next to me and remained silent, enjoying the view. The moment was so perfect, even Will was speechless.

"Arya!" Jade shouted when she ran away from her.

But Arya ran towards me, sat down and laid her head on my leg. I laughed and patted her. Then, I looked up and saw Jade watching us. She breathed a sigh of relief, smiled and returned to where Anna and Kyle were, closer to the sea.

"You should tell her," Will said to me, matter of factly.

I frowned. "What?"

"You should tell Jade... How you feel," Will explained, looking at where Jade was. I smiled in disbelief and prepared myself to lie. "Yes, I know." He said before I denied it, "I'm your best friend, dude. And as your best friend, I think you should tell her. Go for it!"