17. If These Walls Could Talk

"And now I'm fixing the story."

Sitting at a restaurant table, I was telling Will about the latest events in my life.

"I think I'll be able to show it to a publisher this year." I added.

"That's cool, man." He commented, without looking at me.

In the first moments when I saw Will that day, I realized he was different. He was letting me speak. And it was strangely disturbing.

"Oh, and I'm gonna move to Japan." I said, testing his lack of attention.

"Cool." He quickly replied.

I frowned, "Okay... What's going on with you?" I asked in a louder voice and leaned forward.

He finally turned his attention to me, and cleared his throat before speaking, "Leon, I'm dating a girl, and... I'm in love."

"Whoa..." I raised my eyebrows, "That's great, man." I smiled, "Who is she?"

He hesitated, "You'll see," he took a deep breath before adding, "she's coming here."

"Oh," I blurted out, "That explains why you can't take your eyes off the door."

He laughed, "I'm sorry... What were you talking about Japan?"

"Nothing," I replied and laughed, "I was talking about my book, my professor is helping me..." I stopped talking when I saw a face entering the restaurant, I blew out a little air from my nose, in surprise, "Look who is here... What a coincidence!" I looked at Will, and he was smiling at me, eyebrows raised.

When I finally understood the situation, my jaw dropped, "What?" I was more confused in those seconds than I was after watching the movie Inception.

The smiling girl walked towards our table. Still speechless, I stood up to greet her, "Hi, Anna."

She hugged me, "Hi, Leon."

The two greeted each other with a kiss, and I watched the scene, completely baffled, "Oh my God." I blurted out.

Already sitting across the table, they looked at each other and laughed.

"Surprise!" Anna said, smiling and shrugging.

I laughed, "How did that happen?"

They looked at each other again, smiling, and Will took a deep breath before starting the story, "I was at a climate change protest..."

I chuckled, "Of course you were."

He laughed, "I was in the crowd with my megaphone," he continued, "and I heard a beautiful voice shouting: Save our Earth!" He looked vaguely, as if recalling the scene. "So I looked at her, she was holding a sign with the same words she was shouting. That beautiful girl fighting for the movement... I fell in love." He looked at Anna.

"Whoa..." I let out at the end of a sigh, "This is the most perfect story for you, Will." 

"I know!" He said, with raised eyebrows, and then laughed.

Anna smiled at him and then looked at me, "After the protest we started to talk about a lot of things, like we've never done before." She was telling me, "We laughed a lot. We discovered things in common... Oh, for example, we didn't know that we both knew about your crush on Jade." She said excitedly.

"And guess what?" Will continued with the same excited tone, "We both think you were stupid and you should've told her."

"Oh..." I frowned and smiled, "I'm glad my stupidity made something good happen."