18. End Of Plateau

There is always a plateau in life.

Nothing new happens, nothing old changes, we just live.

I was living on a plateau after the day I saw Will and Anna, and I started drawing on the walls. The months passed quickly. And my time was divided between college and my books. Sometimes, I saw Will and Anna, whose relationship was surprisingly good. Not that I didn't hope it would work, but they used to fight over the smallest things. I guess love fixed it.

Speaking of love, after two months, Emma said the three words to me. It was the first time I heard them. In real life. I could understand why people like to hear them, they make our hearts feel embraced.

I also said the three words to Emma. I wanted to embrace her heart, make her feel the way I did.

These were good, light and easy months to live. But every plateau has an end. 

I already knew the plateau would end that day, I was expecting big news, good or bad news. But the bad news I expected was less bad than the news I received. My plateau didn't end the way I imagined. Not that it was a surprise. After all, when did my imagination match my reality?

"Is it too early to drink?" I asked George.

He laughed, "You are not going to be that kind of writer!" He said, pointing his index finger at me.

I smiled and looked at the floor for a few seconds, then I took a deep breath and looked at him again, "Are you ready?" He asked, eyebrows raised.

Apprehensive, I nodded.

"Good luck, Leon." He opened the door to our apartment with one hand and with the other pulled me into a hug. I smiled and hugged him.

In the elevator, I was quickly tapping my fingers on the side of my leg. It's happening, I was finally going to a meeting with a publisher, to talk about my book. My own work. Don't panic, Leon, I tried to calm down, unsuccessfully. It's okay if she doesn't like it, it's a great honor to be rejected by her. I laughed at my own thoughts, what a high self-esteem, bro.

As I walked to the door of the building, a vibration in my leg faded my thoughts. It was a call from Anna.

"Good morning, Anna." I said, happily, when I answered, "I'm on my way to a meeting. Yes, now I'm a person who goes to meetings in the morning." I laughed.

Anna didn't laugh with me, "Leon..." She sounded apprehensive, "Do you know where Jade is?"

I froze, "No. Why?" I replied, anxious.

I could hear Anna's sniffles, "She's not answering her phone, and nobody knows where she is! I'm afraid something bad happened to her..."

"Anna, breathe." I said, and she breathed, "Now, tell me exactly what happened. Who saw her last?"

"Kyle." She said, more calmly, "He called me this morning, really worried about her. He told me she was different last night, like saying weird things. He fell asleep and when he woke up she was gone."

"Weird things like what?" I asked.

"Uh... I don't know, something about time..." She waited a few seconds to complete, "Time Turner?"

I frowned, "Time Turner," I repeated to myself, trying to think better, "I'm thinking of a place, but it doesn't make much sense."

"Leon, none of this is making sense." Anna said, "You go there, Kyle is looking for her near college, and I'll keep calling her."