12. Bingo

"Society has changed," Professor Bristol said during one of his classes.

In his forties, he was a gray-haired Englishman, a brilliant writer and my favorite college professor.

"Many truly talented people are going unnoticed." He said, running a hand over his beard. "We live in a time when people are famous because of their scandals, beauty and money. And it's not their fault, they're just offering what today's society likes to see."

The class was about to end, and the entire lecture hall was listening to him in silence.

Prof. Bristol cleared his throat. "Imagine with me, William Shakespeare living in the present day." He spoke with gestures. "People are reading the daily news on a web site, and they are faced with the news: The tragic and beautiful story of Romeo and Juliet, new play by William Shakespeare." He smiled with raised eyebrows. "But, next to it, there is the following article: Ten celebrities who have had a nose job."

The sound of our laughter filled the silence, and Prof. Bristol smiled.

"Honestly..." He continued. "Which one do you think would have the most views?" He stared at us for a few seconds, and the silence was restored. "It breaks my heart, but I must say... Many talents won't be appreciated in this life... It's frustrating, but it's the reality."

Prof. Bristol paused, looked at us and took a deep breath. "So what can you do?" He asked us, with raised eyebrows. "Work harder, perfect your talent... And maybe get a nose job."

We all laughed and he smiled.

"Well, that's it for today!" He said. "See you on Thursday!"

Quickly, I got up from the chair and went downstairs to talk to the Professor, before my classmates gathered around him. Only one girl had reached him before I did. While she talked to him, I mentally rehearsed my words.

But I didn't have much time until he looked at me.

"Hi, Professor!" I spoke abruptly, "I wrote a story..." I had forgotten all the rehearsed words, so I was talking to him like an eight year old boy. "It would be amazing to have your opinion. Could you read it? If you have time, of course... I mean, I don't want to bother..."

"Of course," Prof. Bristol interrupted me and smiled, "I will read it."

I smiled excitedly. "It's just a draft... So it's not good yet." I said, and gave him the flash drive.

"Were you happy to write it?" He asked.

I looked at the floor. "Yes..."

Prof. Bristol nodded. "That's the most important." He smiled at me. "Thank you for sharing your story with me."

While he was talking to another boy, I smiled to myself and walked away.

Late that afternoon, Dave and I went to a cafe. It was a cozy and warm place, where some people from college used to get together, especially the creative and artistic minds, such as musicians, writers, poets, among others.

After Dave got his iced coffee, we sat at a table to watch a girl singing a love song, on the small stage there.

Seconds later, a girl with light brown hair appeared in front of us. "Hey, is this seat taken?" She asked us.

"No," Dave replied and shook his head.

When she sat down, I greeted her with a smile and looked back at the stage.

After a while, I felt the girl's eyes on me. "You changed." She said when I looked at her.

I frowned, "I changed?"