Chapter 8 - A Ruined Date

"So... Laina, where do you want to go?"

"Somewhere with food would be nice."

Ricky smiled. He looked back at me. 

"I think I could make that happen."

Just then he pulled into the parking lot of an expensive-looking restaurant. I started to wonder just how much money this would cost. I only had fifty bucks on me. 

Always the gentleman, he got out and opened the door for me. 

I read the name of the restaurant from the front of the building. 

"El café de los Mariscos. Sounds fancy... and Spanish."

"Well, it is Spanish. But the name's not too fancy. It means 'the cafe of seafood'. Which, when you think about it, doesn't really make sense. But the food is great."

He gave me one of his dazzling smiles as we walked inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After we were seated and ordered our drinks (pink lemonade for the both of us), we started to talk. And I began to wonder why a gentleman like him would want to take me out on a date. I mean sure, I was gorgeous. Tan skin, brown eyes, not too thin, not too big... but... I can't help but feel like he's into me for another reason. Can't hurt to ask.

We were waiting for our food to come, and we were just talking about school, when I figured it was the perfect time to bring it up.

"So, are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"A perfect gentleman, chivalrous, charming...?"

He burst out laughing.

"No. Just around you."

"And why is that?"

"Well, if I'm sitting with a beautiful girl in a five star restaurant, enjoying her wonderful conversation, why wouldn't I be?"

He was such a flirt, but then again... So am I.

"So, Ricky. I was wondering if you've ever heard of a..." I hesitated, how do ask a guy if he's associated with a gang, without offending him?

Ricky's smile faded and his eyes hardened. He must have picked up on something in my voice. But only for a second. His smile was back, but it looked more forced than before. 

"So you've heard , too, huh?" 

Just then our smiling waiter came and set down our two seafood platters, and asked if we needed anything. After she left, the tense atmosphere resumed.

I looked down at the table. Good job ruining a first date, Laina. We ate in silence for a couple of minutes.

"Hey don't worry about it. Falls is a big town, yet everyone here seems to know about it." He smiled at me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude, it's just... I heard that there was some big rivalry between two gangs." I lowered my voice a little bit. "The Snakes and Carnage. They say that The Snakes' leader is... you." I quickly continued. "And that Carnage is led by some guy named Jordon Fields.

His eyes hardened once again. Hmm. There probably is some beef between Ricky and Jordon. But for now I won't probe. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts on this chapter? Just comment if you do. Please vote, like, and comment. Thanks for reading and thanks for your support.