Chapter 15 - Secrets

Jordon and I were eating ice cream at Jenny's Ice Cream Parlor. I had French vanilla bean and strawberry, and Jordon was eating chocolate chip mint with sprinkles.

We sat there in a booth facing each other, eating ice cream and talking. At first the conversation was just about school: the good teachers, annoying teachers, weird students, the town... But then I tried to smoothly change the subject.

I looked at Jordon's ring on his finger. "So. What's up with the ring?"

"Hmm?" He looked at me in surprise, but he couldn't fool me. He definitely heard what I said.

So I asked him again. "Your ring? The one you lost and the one found and returned to you?"

"Yeah. I know... What about my ring?

"Well. I was just wondering why it's so important."

He stopped picking a his ice cream and looked down at the table. I didn't want to pry into his business, and I could tell that he was uncomfortable, so I said:

"Never mind. You don't have to - "

He cut me off. "No. I'll explain. You did find it for me, it's the least I could do."

"So?"

"This ring - my ring - is the only family heirloom that I have. It's old. How old? I don't really know. But, I do know that it belonged to my father before me. He gave it to me when I was ten."

He stopped speaking, but I was waiting for him to continue. I could sense that there was more to the story.

He stopped being serious and smiled at me. "And what about you?"

Now it was my turn to be surprised. "What about me?"

"I noticed that... you have a scar on your neck."

I couldn't believe it. All my life, nobody ever commented on my scar, because no one ever saw it. So how could he see it? My hair was up, but I usually wear it down. I also wear protective makeup that blends with my skin tone, to cover it up. Why? It's not that my scar is particularly gross, or grotesque. It's that... It looks strange. The shape of it was a crescent moon.  How did I get it? A burn. From a while ago...

Jordon's voice brought me back to the present. "Yeah, I noticed that you wear makeup over it."

I lowered my voice, almost whispering. "How can you see it? No one notices."

"Well, let's just say that I'm more perceptive than most."

We shared a smile. So now I guess we knew something about each other. Our own little secret.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, you guys! Sorry about the late update. I've been busy with school, but I'm back and I'm posting. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!! Please vote and comment!!! :-)