Chapter 2 - Gloria High School

Chapter 2

The door knocked and she looked over her shoulder as Sabrina, the house maid entered to call her for breakfast.

Leah turned back to the full wall mirror and sigh loudly as she adjusted the tie around her neck before wearing an emerald green sleeveless sweater over her white shirt. 

The school logo sewed on the left chest- a figure of a woman and a little girl holding hands and standing on an open book with big star shaped behind them.

She wore a simple black headband over her light-brownish blonde hair and grabbed her backpack before walking out of her bedroom. Her white fluffy cat house slippers squeaked on the pristine clean marble floor as she made her way in the big kitchen.

Leah loved anything that was cute. 

"You're three minutes late" The woman sitting at the end of glass dining table said in monotone. The woman's blue eyes moved from the news she was browsing from her iPad screen, to meet her hazel ones. 

She didn't quite like scary things though. 

A frown gracing her mother's elegant face, her almond shaped eyes surveyed her attire to find any faults in it, much like what she always did whenever she met someone. Judge them. 

Her mother was, a rather skeptic person if one might say. 

"I had to perfect my tie" Leah said in reply, taking a seat on the right side of the other end as she grabbed the glass plate and fill it.

"I saw your grades from last semester" Her mother's calm voice said as she was back to staring at her iPad, the glasses on her nose bridge reflecting the light from the screen. 

"I am not satisfied"

When is she is? Leah retorted back inside her head.

"I tried"

Her mother looked at her, "Then try harder"

That was always how her morning started. Her mother's unsatisfied remarks, the atmosphere cold and tense, and her stomach losing its appetite. She had managed to take a few bites of her scrambled eggs before lightly pushing the plate and standing up.

"I am done" she mumbled, wiping a napkin over her mouth.

"I'll be going now" she excused herself, walking out of the kitchen while taking out her phone from the pocket.

"Leah" Leah stopped, hearing her mother calling her name behind her and she turned around to face her mother.

"I don't want you to return home late like last night" her mother said without meeting her eye. Leah answered with a nod, not caring whether her mother saw it or not-it was never a question anyway. She walked out of the house with her earphones on.

School was nearby, only about a 9 minutes' walk from home. She was a little grateful that her mother didn't make a driver send her to school like the first few days, she enjoyed the relaxing walks.

Unless it was really late at night, that scared her a bit. 

Leah passed the corner where she recalled the events of last night, the traffic light showed green so she stood there to wait for a while. 

Thankfully her mother didn't probe much about last night, not that her mother ever did but last night was fortunate. She knew how much her mother detested the opposite gender, highly due to her father.  

As the cross road blink green, Leah walked across the street and headed towards her school. Her feet slightly walking to match the rhythm of the music blaring from her earphone.