Chapter 16- Mariana

Eden's POV

Mariana slowly walked in the room, her shackles clanging with each step. Anxiety rushed through my veins, I trusted her. She was my mother figure for so long, and then she manipulates my brother and tries to kill me.

The judge enters the room, a somber look plastered on his face. I zone out for most of the trial, I'm not really in the mood for listening to a courtroom figure out what to do with a sociopath.

"Edee, we've gotta go up.", Amy says as she taps my shoulder. I simply nod, carefully walking towards the podium. My short sister grabs my hand in an attempt to calm me. "Ames, I'm scared.", I say to her, trembling. "I know, it's gonna be ok. I'm right here, no one can hurt you now.", she responds soothingly. I take a deep breath and begging testifying.

"Hi, my name is Eden Cimorelli and I'm 11 years old. I was kidnapped at age 5 by a man named Lennon James, who is now behind bars. When I was rescued by my best friend Nicole, her mom, who happens to be Ms. Rodrugiez, I was adopted by the family and stayed there until I found my biological family back in April. Mariana never seemed off or anything, she was very loving towards me and Nicole. When we found out I was going back to California, I noticed she started holding some resentment, that she was mad that I was being reunited with my family. I thought nothing of it, it seemed like she was just sad I was leaving. When Lennon escaped and hurt my little sister, it scared the crap out of me. We all thought us Cimorelli's were safe, unfortunately that was not the case. Somehow Ms. Rodrugiez was able to contact my brother Alex, and told him that if he didn't give me to her so I could be murdered, he would be the dead one. Fearing for his life, he handed me off. I was able to survive and find my way back home, but that doesn't mean I wasn't terrified. Mariana was supposed to be a second mom to me, but she broke any bond we had by trying to kill me. I really hope she's locked up for a while, I need to protect my family. Thank you."

The jury claps, the judge even commends me for my bravery. The defense goes up, the lawyer with determination in his eyes. "I first want to thank Eden for sharing her side of the story, that was very bold of you to do. Now, no one knows my clients motive, which obviously needs to be taken into consideration. Ms. Rodrugiez was heartbroken when Eden was taken away from her. They had developed a special bond over the years my client had custody of the prosecution. Ms. Rodrugiez developed a severe amount of resentment towards the family, and felt as if the only way to get "payback" on the Cimorelli's was to kill their daughter, or better yet, kill their son too. Though this is not ok, she had a reason, which is why Ms. Rodrugiez should have a shortened sentence.", the attorney rambles

My family sits in shock. This man tried to justify murder as resentment. The jury leaves to talk the case over, which we're told could take hours. Mariana is escorted back to her holding cell and I let out a sigh of relief.

Nicole stands up and heads over to my family. An instant wave of fear consumes me as I grab the nearest hand, which happens to be Katherine's. "Hey, I uhm, I want to say sorry for what my mom did. Honestly, I can't really believe it got that bad.", my best friend says timidly. It? What's it?. "It's ok Coco, we're all safe and that's all that matters. If you don't mind me asking, what's it?", I say putting emphasis on the last word. The shorter brunette pauses, carefully choosing her words. "Well, my mom was an addict. She stopped right when you came into the picture, I guess you were like her crutch. When you left she started using, it got so bad. She would mumble how it was your fault when she was alone. My mom kinda lost it and I have no idea why.", Nicole says somberly. I instantly feel guilty, the poor girl is probably more hurt than I am from the situation. I pull her into a hug and we catch up for a bit, two 11 year old girls being separated for a month calls for major conversation.

"Hey babygirl, the jury and Mariana are about to come back in, go back to Amy.", Christina says. I timidly walk towards the prosecution's desk, scared of the outcome of today's trial. The courtroom quickly fills, eager to here the sentence of my former guardian. "Under the State of California, the jury has charged Ms. Mariana Rodrugiez with first degree attempted murder and nine counts of drug abuse. Under these felonies, the defendant is sentenced to
25 years at Lone Star State Detention Facility.", the judge announces to the full room.

I exert a sigh of relief, I'm finally safe. We all go out to eat after the trial at my favorite restaurant, Giovanni's. Mom leaves to take a 'business' call. Us girls stare at each other, confused. Our mom doesn't work anymore, and the number was Sarah's, our manager. She comes back with a huge grin plastered on her face. "Hey girls, I just got a call from Island. You've been nominated for a Teen Choice Award!"

A.N: hey guys, it's mickey. i debated whether or not to post this week or not, but i decided we all need some positive rn. i just want y'all to know, these riots and protests are COMPLETELY necessary. Queer rights are a thing because of Stonewall, 5 days of violent protests. please please please take the time to educate yourself on privilege in this world. being white, i fortunately have a great amount of privilege and have never once been discriminated because or the color of my skin, and i am very great full for that. and sadly, the discrimination in this society isn't only because of race. if you aren't a white, straight, cisgender man, you are automatically at a disadvantage. this has angered me since i was a little girl, and i'm so glad something is being done about the injustices of today. on a happier note...KATHS MARRIED!!! i mean we all knew but it's official now!!! i'm so happy for her and max. 3 down, 3 to go. stay safe babes, dms always open. <3 mik