Chapter 16: Efforts don't always amount

Four days later

Y/n's POV

I had to do something, something to show how committed I was to my job, and Red Velvet. When the members were busy, I started a vlog. It didn't go well at first - I kept accidentally deleting the footage or putting stickers on in the wrong places. I've lost count of the number of times I dropped the camera.

My luck changed for the better when Yeri found out what I was doing. Being the former maknae, she was always up to speed with trends and knew how to find what she was looking for. I was editing a video one day when she came into my room and sat herself on my bed. I slammed the laptop shut, pretending I'd finished work and got out my notebook to start doodling.

"Hey. I know what you've been up to." she said calmly, and I turned to her, looking down.

"It was going to happen."

"I can help you if you like?"

I was so grateful. My only video I'd posted so far was of a walk I'd been on, and honestly, it was dead boring.

"Thank you. I'm just so worried."

"Don't be! You have no reason to think you'll go. Anyway, I know you're going to be a success, it's just not right now."

The next video was infinitely more interesting, with all the members in it. We went out for a meal to celebrate our comeback and Yeri helped me film the whole thing. Steaming plates of f/f and kimchi noodle soup were served to us, and we played some games as we were eating.

It was such a hit with our fans that our managers decided to make it a regular. I was so happy but now that we were all working on it, I knew I wouldn't gain as much popularity. 

It had been about a month after we had started the vlog and it was a huge success with Luvies. My fanbase had almost doubled in numbers, not that I care about that. My managers always let me know the statistics, and I pretended to nod and take notes, but in reality, I knew that each person who loved Red Velvet loved each member too, regardless of who was their bias. Every single person was a human in their own right, with their own story and life. They mattered more than numbers.

However, I decided that the numbers were enough and walked into the meeting confidently and only three and a half minutes late.

"Ah, there you are. Sit down, please."

My manager gestured to an empty chair opposite her and took a seat herself.

"As you know, we tasked you with promotion. Promoting yourself."

"Yes." I said, and proceeded to tell her all about what we'd been doing.

"Hmm." she said, growing silent for a little.

After a while, she looked me in the eye and told me, "you have failed."

"What? But I-"

"The other members made your little project popular. Not you. And now you know what's going to happen to you?"

"No, but-"

"Hush, child. Now, run along. Spend some time with your members - while you still can, that is."