[09] Another Reason To Stay

Alex woke Isadora up early that day because the two were supposed to go on grocery shopping. He had decided to add the cookies to the menu on a one week trial so they had to buy the baking ingredients as well.

Dora offered to make breakfast so that Alex could make a list of all the things that were needed. She had tied the apron and descended the stairs to the kitchen even though Alex had said he would do it himself.

"Take a break Al," she called out to him, "and don't worry it won't be inedible."

So Alex grabbed the notepad and went over to check the cabinets, "don't burn yourself."

"I won't," she replied, "I used to make breakfast every day before I came here."

He looked up, "every day?"

"Mum used to wake up late so I had to fix something up myself before leaving for high school. And at Dad's I had been mostly on my own," she replied offhandedly, "no big deal."

He jotted down the stuff he would be needing and then went over to the kitchen to ask her about the baking ingredients. She had laid out the breakfast at the counter which consisted of omelette and bread along with two cups of milk.

He brought over the stools, "smells good."

"Will taste good too," she smiled, taking her seat and cutting a piece for herself from the omelette. 

He nodded, "undoubtedly. By the way, I have made the list but have to add the baking ingredients."

"I'll dictate. After breakfast."

After breakfast, the two walked down to the nearest supermarket and on the way Alex briefly told her about the places they passed such as the Robinson Plaza, Gina's Pizza and Aparo Square.

They reached the supermarket and stepped inside, Alex grabbed the trolley and headed straight to the required section for he knew his way very well around the place. Dora followed, her eyes curiously taking in all the different sections on display.

"Since you know what will be needed for the cookies, you can pick up the stuff from here," Alex spoke up, "I'll just be back in a moment with the rest of the items."

"Sure," she nodded, turning her attention to the racks that held all the ingredients such as baking powder, flour and sugar.

She was looking for vanilla essence when a somewhat familiar voice greeted her, "hello Dora."

She turned to see Selina Kyle, who had also come there fro shopping as she was carrying a small basket. "Hi Selina," she smiled at her "how are you?'

"Good. I see you're searching for something?"

"Vanilla essence."

The woman scanned the racks them handed a bottle to her from the corner left section, "there."

"Thank you," her smile widened.

"Looks like you're adding some baked items to the menu," she remarked as her sharp eyes took in the stuff placed in Dora's basket.

She nodded, "for the time being, we'll see how it works out and keep it if we are not having any loss."

"Best of luck dear."

Alex joined them as well and greeted Selina and had a short pleasant conversation with her before leading Dora to the payment counter. "You sure you've added everything?"

"I checked it off in the list, see?"

"Good," he smiled appreciatively at her, "the reason I brought you here with me is so that you would get accustomed to all of this too. Sometimes I might be out and you'll have to do the groceries by yourself."