Past Prose Contest/Challenge Entries (6)

Challenge #6 - The Dead men Tell No Tales sea story collection - 100 words or less

Avast, For Pete's Sake

The rough looking man leaned forward and kept his voice low.

"There's a man who has the key to where the treasure is buried." He wiped a dirty hand across his face and swilled from his tankard. "You'll meet with him and find out what he wants for it."

"Why me?"

"First, ye scurvy snot, 'cause I'm tellin' you to."

"Huh, and second?"

"Arrr, same as first." The hand shot out and grasped the lads collar. "I can't trust any of this other lot. It has to be somebody with a shrewd mind, somebody that can see the way. I've watched you, laddie, you know which way the wind blows, when the sea is friendly, when a snapping main sail forecasts rough weather. No coral gathers on your keel, laddie. You follow?"

"Thanks, Cap'n."

"Arrrrr, no need for thanks. You do this and it's you and I, laddie. We'll split the treasure between us.

"What about the rest of the crew?

"Blast those mangy buckos. They can find their treasure with Davey Jones. Now, hear me well, laddie. Ye'll find him at the Parrot's Beak Tavern tonight at eight bells."

"How will I know him?"

"Arrrrrrr, he's a mean looking man with a hook for a hand and a peg leg. He also wears a patch over his eye. You won't have any trouble."

"Hmmm, I don't know... which eye?"