2017 Chatter Challenge - Sentence Prompt

I felt the power in the palm of my hand

Upon waking I had a feeling of excitement, exhilaration. Something that seemed to focus all my mental energy on my hand. I opened it and, while it looked the same as ever, I felt the germ of an idea begin to root and grow. An idea for a place, a world, one of endless beauty, harmony and tranquility and the notion filled my mind with an eagerness to begin its creation.

I felt the power in the palm of my hand.

A visual blueprint stretched before me, showing the various stages and times that would be required to accomplish this dream, and with a zeal powered by determination I prepared myself to create it from concept to completion.

The work was long and meticulous and assembling the necessary pieces took care and thought, with time to review the progress of each stage. The blueprint in my mind was taking shape and my excitement grew. I was greatly pleased with each new result. Serious contemplation was needed as the concept evolved. Important components had to be fashioned and modified to work with existing pieces.

At the completion of each stage, I felt an urge, a passion, goading me to go faster, do more, and I had to restrain myself to maintain the necessary discipline of my master plan. I needed to assure its integrity; rushing ahead was really not necessary in the general scheme of things.

With each new addition my heart filled with satisfaction, seeing how they blended together with the existing parts. Time was passing quickly although it really only related to my project as it was used to co-ordinate all the parts, to see they functioned well and smoothly, together.

As a convenient reference, I divided the work into segments and gave them designations, something with which I could use to ensure a correct order of procedure. Upon reviewing my progress, I restricted each segment to specific additions. This required a little adjusting and in the end made the objective promise to be even more pleasing.

I took some time to sit back and admire what I had accomplished; my waking dream was becoming a reality. A poke here, a tweak there, the eccentricity of any artist when feeling the happy sad winding down of something that had consumed so much concentration and devotion.

The blueprint was complete, the vision all and more than anticipated. Each segment perfect in form and function. Each seamlessly melding with the next to create the originally imagined concept with flying colours.

But something niggled, that urge to take one step too many, to believe you can improve on perfection because after all the whole thing was your idea. I shrugged off any doubts, including a sixth segment.

The fifth segment should have been the last. But the sixth, the addition of man, was a tweak too far and the consequences were quick to appear.

Too late for that peaceful perfection.

. . . I had it in the palm of my hand . . .